Why Not Limit Politicians To One Long Term, And That's It?

Geee

031813-648472-term-limit-politicians-to-one-stint-in-office-no-more.htmInvestors Business Daily:

The main thing wrong with the term limits movement is the "s" at the end of the word "limit."

What are advocates of term limits trying to accomplish? If they are trying to keep government from being run by career politicians, whose top priority is getting themselves reelected, then term limits on given jobs fail to do that.

When someone reaches the limit of how long one can spend as a county supervisor, then it is just a question of finding another political office to run for, such as a member of the state legislature. And when the limit on terms there is reached, it is time to look around for another political job—perhaps as a mayor or a member of Congress.

Instead of always making reelection in an existing political post the top priority, in the last term in a given office the top priority will be doing things that will make it easier to get elected or appointed to the next political post. But in no term is doing what is right for the people likely to be the top priority.

Those who favor term limits are right to try to stop the same old politicians from staying in the same old offices for decades. But having the same career politicians circulating around in the same set of offices, like musical chairs, is not very different.

In either case, we can expect the same short-sighted policies, looking no further than the next election, and the same cynical arts of deception and log-rolling to get reelected at all costs.Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree

No! But then I don't like it for Presidents either.

Thank's for answering for me also, wonder why he didn't go ahead and say lets elect the Senators like it was first set up.

Thank's for answering for me also, wonder why he didn't go ahead and say lets elect the Senators like it was first set up.

Radical Concept Alert!!!

Draggingtree

Radical Concept Alert!!!

I'm not for sure of you answer huh.png

Radical Concept Alert!!!

I'm not for sure of you answer huh.png

Getting rid of the The Seventeenth Amendment...pretty radical! And that's a good thing. Go a long way toward moving power out of DC and back to the States. I question if it will ever happen, but it would be a good thing if it did.