George Will: When Washington Was Really Grim

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

By: George Will

3/7/2013 06:15 AM

WASHINGTON — “When I first met Richard Nixon,” Robert Bork says in the book he completed a few weeks before his death in December, “I could see in his expression the conviction that someone had blundered badly.” With the dry wit that, together with his mastery of the dry martini, made him delightful company, Bork says the president, who “almost visibly recoiled,” evidently considered his red beard emblematic of Ivy League left-wingery. Nixon probably thought the barbarians were within the gates.

They were. On Nixon’s staff.

“Saving Justice: Watergate, the Saturday Night Massacre, and Other Adventures of a Solicitor General,” Bork’s recounting of events of 40 years ago, is an antidote to today’s tendency to think that things in Washington have never been worse. Bork became Nixon’s solicitor general in June 1973, 12 months after the Watergate burglary. Then Bork, fresh from Yale Law School’s faculty, met Nixon: “Apparently unsure if he was really dealing with a conservative Ivy League professor, he assured me his conservatism was something of a pose to keep others from moving too far left.” Conservatives knew this. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/03/07/will-when-washington-was-really-grim/

By: George Will

3/7/2013 06:15 AM

WASHINGTON — “When I first met Richard Nixon,” Robert Bork says in the book he completed a few weeks before his death in December, “I could see in his expression the conviction that someone had blundered badly.” With the dry wit that, together with his mastery of the dry martini, made him delightful company, Bork says the president, who “almost visibly recoiled,” evidently considered his red beard emblematic of Ivy League left-wingery. Nixon probably thought the barbarians were within the gates.

They were. On Nixon’s staff.

While I don't remember that much of those days (Living as I did in a chemically...enhanced world), I do recall paranoia being in the air. Richard Nixon and his Neo-Nazi Conservative hordes were going to take over the nation, and it would be the end of the Republic. Alas this is not the last time we have seen this....see Jimmy Carter...Ronald Regan...Bill Clinton...George W Bush, and now Barack Obama, each in there time were going to take over the country (backed by some sort of mysterious evil cabal) and end the Republic.

For what it is worth The NY Times (prepare yourself for a shock) is not pleased with this book. Because "Richard Nixon and his Neo-Nazi Conservative hordes" almost took over the nation and ended The Republic....or something. Some things never change.

People might be interested in this...

Thge New Criterion: Restoring Justice

by Robert Bork

An excerpt from Robert H. Bork’s forthcoming memoir, Saving Justice: Watergate, the Saturday Night Massacre, and Other Adventures of a Solicitor General