Hangmen and Abortionists

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

hangmen_and_abortionists.htmlAmerican Thinker:

March 6, 2013

Hangmen and Abortionists

By Glenn Fairman

I don't suppose I will ever understand the logic that progressives utilize in striking moral equivalence between the death penalty and selective abortion. Time and time again, I have encountered some acolyte of the Left who firmly believed he had uncovered my philosophical nakedness: pointing out my supposed inconsistency between affirming death for convicted murderers and my advocacy for innocent nascent human life. I suppose the Progressive worldview, in their own contextual reflection, would hold that human life is the highest possible good and that any actions by an authority to abbreviate it, for whatever reasons, are inherently immoral. By the same token, can they not see in themselves that same moral inconsistency when the termination of unborn human life is on the line?

The progressive take on abortion is akin to the chattel slave relationship between master and slave. In this situational instance, the life of the unborn child is not paramount. In fact, the value of the helpless infant is utterly dependant on the whim of the mother. It is her ultimate moral prerogative that renders value to her charge. Therefore, she can either choose to carry it lovingly to term, or as late as the ninth month, expel it like an ignominious kidney stone into a metal sink. Scissors-32x32.png

• 3 weeks later...
Draggingtree

Why did Charles Murray call abortion ‘justifiable’ homicide? We asked him.

By: David Harsanyi

3/20/2013 06:39 AM

I should start by admitting that I’ve been a fan of social scientist Charles Murray for a long time – and not only for the compelling reason that I agree with many of his conclusions. A fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, he is best known for his controversial books “Losing Ground” and “The Bell Curve” (his newest is Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010 ) — but all of them are excellent.

Murray caused somewhat of a ruckus at CPAC last week, not only advocating that Republicans embrace gay marriage (not entirely surprising), but for dropping this provocative statement about abortion on the crowd: “It’s a murder—it’s a homicide—but sometimes homicide is justified.”

Here’s how the New Yorker summed up his speech:

The disquiet grew further as Murray suggested that abortion, too, was an issue better left, for the most part, to “moral suasion” rather than criminalization. Personally, he said, he regarded abortion as a “grave” moral issue, and favored some restrictions. He said he’d like to see Roe v. Wade overturned, and abortions regulated at the state level. But, Scissors-32x32.png