Ex-Libyan rebel offers to settle with UK govt

Valin

exlibyan-rebel-offers-to-settle-with-uk-govt-n1525290AP/Townhall:

3/4/13

LONDON (AP) — A Libyan military commander who is suing the British government over its alleged role in his detention and rendition has offered to settle for 3 pounds ($4.50) and an apology, saying he is seeking justice, not personal enrichment.

Abdel Hakim Belhaj and his wife are suing the British government, former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw and the former head of the MI6 spy agency, Mark Allen.

Belhaj, a former fighter in the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group that had opposed the late dictator Moammar Gadhafi, claims that both British and U.S. intelligence may have played a role in his 2004 detention in Thailand and his transfer to Tripoli, where he spent years in prison.

He said Monday he has sent an open letter to the British government offering to drop the case in return for a token 1 pound compensation from each defendant along with an apology and an admission of liability.

(Snip)

Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism: Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG)

Abdel, I have a counter proposal....It involves committing an unnatural act with yourself.

The Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, Al Qaeda, and Epistemology

Daveed Gartenstein-Ross

7th September 2012 - Gunpowder & Lead

Yesterday I was quoted in a Spencer Ackerman article over at Wired, saying, “We don’t know whether there is a current relationship between LIFG [the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group] and al Qaeda.” I wanted to expand upon that quote here, because I feel that it represents a minority opinion within my field: I believe that most analysts with an opinion on the matter would argue that we do know whether there is a current relationship between LIFG and al Qaeda, and that the correct answer is that there is none.

(Snip)