Who’s the Racist? Sam Tanenhaus, Meet Dr. Benjamin Carson

Draggingtree

sam-tanenhaus-meet-dr-benjamin-carsonPJ Media:

Who’s the Racist? Sam Tanenhaus, Meet Dr. Benjamin Carson

February 11th, 2013 - 12:13 am

by Roger L Simon

I have to be honest. I only got a few hundred words into Sam Tanenhaus’ New Republic cover story Original Sin: Why the GOP is and will continue to be the party of white peoplebefore I clicked off. Besides being your normal impatient ADD-infused ‘net surfer, I found what I read of Tanenhaus to be stultifyingly banal and predictable.

But perhaps that’s because I harbor residual resentment toward the New York Times Book Review (the periodical he edits), which gave favorable notices to each of my first nine books (written as a liberal) and completely ignored the last two (written as a mildly center-right conservative) as if I had suddenly had a lobotomy. You be the judge.

I also might have been peeved because, unlike Tanenhaus (he’s a decade younger than I am), I actually participated in the civil rights movement, going down South and so forth and then took the horrifying step of voting for George W. Bush.

But it’s deeper than that. I think Tanenhaus is full of it and reactionary. A lot of what he writes is based on projection, a kind of “wish” that the Republican Party would be racist or a white people’s party when it is the other way around.

(I wonder if Tanenhaus remembers not too long ago when the late Andrew Breitbart offered one hundred thousand dollars for anyone with evidence that someone at the Tea Party demonstration in DC on the day that ObamaCare passed in 2010 had uttered the n-word — as alleged by John Lewis and others — and not a soul came forward for that hunk of change.) Scissors-32x32.png