England's King Richard III found after 500 years

Valin

Reuters

Michael Holden

Mon Feb 4, 2013

LEICESTER, England

(Reuters) - A skeleton with a cleaved skull and a curved spine entombed under a car park is that of Richard III, scientific tests confirmed, solving a 500-year-old mystery about the final resting place of the last English king to die in battle.

(Snip)

In one of the most significant archaeological discoveries of recent times, a team from the University of Leicester said evidence showed that a skeleton found last year during excavations of a mediaeval friary under a parking lot in the city was indeed that of Richard.

After a detailed academic presentation focusing on the life, wounds and physique of Richard III, the lead archaeologist on the project, Richard Buckley, announced his conclusion to cheers and applause.

(Snip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH7Nyx19amQ

That was absolutely fascinating! I didn't want to watch the whole video but could not tear myself away. Richard probably had scoliosis. Shakespeare has certainly had a powerful influence on peoples' view of history. I love British TV. smile.png Thank you, @Valin.

Shakespeare Has a (Parking) Lot to Answer For

Richard III may now get fairer treatment than the spin-doctoring playwright offered 420 years ago.

ANDREW ROBERTS

The news that the skeleton of King Richard III has been found under a parking lot in Leicester, a city 100 miles north of London, should finally end half a millennium of winters of discontent for the most maligned monarch in English history. It proves that it is never too late to save one's reputation.

(Snip)

Richard should be admired even today. *After all, here is a monarch who abolished press censorship, invented the right to bail for people awaiting trial, reformed the country's finances, and led bravely in battle despite a crippling disability.

t was Richard's tragedy that after being betrayed by the turncoat Stanley family at Bosworth, he then had to contend with the greatest poet-playwright in the English language spin-doctoring against him on behalf of the incoming regime. When the Tudors defeated and succeeded the last of the Plantagenets, they constantly briefed against the previous administration, blaming it for all the country's ills. Shakespeare even has Richard say: "I am determined to prove a villain." Who in his right mind would ever say that, especially if it were true?

(Snip)

* I did not know that. we learn something new everyday.