Ed Koch, RIP

saveliberty

Ed-Koch-with-Pope-Benedict-XVI.jpegThe Deacon's Bench:

Ed Koch, RIP

February 1, 2013 By Deacon Greg Kandra

Scissors-32x32.png

He was a New York original—almost as iconic as the Empire State Building—and he has the unusual distinction of being the only mayor to co-write a bestselling book with a cardinal.

Former mayor Edward Koch died early Friday morning at the age of 88, from congestive heart failure.

Read the whole thing.

Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch dead at age 88: sources

• From POST STAFF REPORT
  • Last Updated: 6:59 AM, February 1, 2013
  • Posted: 5:04 AM, February 1, 2013

NYNYP_NEW_YORK_POST045043--525x415.JPG

Ed Koch served as New York City's Mayor from 1978 until 1989.

Scissors-32x32.png

Former Mayor Ed Koch died early this morning, sources told The Post. He was 88.

Koch had been in and out of the hospital in recent months, and was admitted Monday at New York Presbyterian Medical Center.

He was moved to intensive care yesterday as his condition worsened.

Koch – who served as mayor from 1978 to 1989 – died at about 2 a.m. today, sources said.

If you don't like the President, it costs you 90 bucks to fly to Washington to picket.

If you don't like the Governor, it costs you 60 bucks to fly to Albany to picket.

If you don't like me, 90 cents.

Ed Koch

• Like 2

Edward I. Koch, Rest in Peace

Mollie Hemingway

2/1/13

Well this is terribly sad news to wake up to. Hizzoner Ed Koch, New York City's former mayor, died earlier this morning.

(Snip)

I didn't much care for his politics, of course, but I absolutely loved his candor. And it was a genuine candor unlike the political version of today that appears to be all for show. In this month's Vanity Fair, he was profiled in their silly questionnaire. A sample:

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

A willingness to go with my gut feeling, rather than wait a day and contemplate other options.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?

Disloyalty.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?

Sun damage on my face and head.

Which living person do you most despise?

Former president Jimmy Carter.

(Snip)

• Like 2

"If you agree with me on 9 out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12 issues, see a psychiatrist."

RIP, Mr. Koch.

• Like 2

Ed Koch’s grave marker is inscribed with journalist Daniel Pearl’s last words

The marker will bear the Star of David and a Hebrew prayer, "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One." It also will be inscribed with the last words of journalist Daniel Pearl before he was murdered by terrorists in 2002: "My father is Jewish. My mother is Jewish. I am Jewish."

"Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One."

That’s Deuteronomy 6:4.

The prayer is known as the Shema and is pronounced Sh'ma.

In Hebrew: Shema Yisrael Adonai eloheinu Adonai ehad

Traditionally, Jews recite the Sh'ma in Hebrew in the morning, before bedtime, and as their last words.

• Like 3

Personality as big as the Apple he served – & saved

• By MICHAEL GOODWIN
  • Last Updated: 5:04 AM, February 2, 2013
  • Posted: 2:05 AM, February 2, 2013

michael_goodwin.png

Michael Goodwin

Scissors-32x32.png

He boasted that he didn’t get ulcers, he gave them. He declared himself the “mayatollah,” insisted he was a liberal with sanity and called his opponents wackos.

Ed Koch was a Borscht-belt comic and a holy terror, often simultaneously. He was also one of the greatest mayors of modern New York.

He rescued the city from financial ruin — everybody knows that — but he did something else that, in the long run, was more important. By force of personality, he saved the city from the corrosive fear that a broke and battered Gotham would never come back and wasn’t even worth the effort.

The NY Post has a lot of articles about him, which are included in this story below.

Ed Koch was one mensch of a great mayor

• By DAVID SEIFMAN and ANDY SOLTIS
  • Last Updated: 9:12 AM, February 2, 2013
  • Posted: 12:47 AM, February 2, 2013

Scissors-32x32.png

Ed Koch, the down-to-earth, three-term mayor whose humor and accessibility steered New York City out of the depths of fiscal crisis in the late 1970s, died yesterday of heart disease at age 88.

Koch, who had suffered a stroke while mayor and later underwent quadruple bypass surgery, had been in and out of New York-Presbyterian/Columbia Hospital for 10 days.