Obama seeks "fuller understanding" of what happened in Algeria siege

Draggingtree

xino.php?embed=1&STWAccessKeyId=0d03aa37b38aae7&stwsize=lg&stwUrl=reuters.comreuters.com:

Obama seeks "fuller understanding" of what happened in Algeria siege

WASHINGTON | Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:36pm EST

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama offered on Saturday to provide any assistance the Algerian government needs after a deadly hostage siege at a desert gas plant and said the United States was seeking a "fuller understanding" from Algerian authorities of what took place there.

“The thoughts and prayers of the American people are with the families of all those who were killed and injured in the terrorist attack in Algeria," Obama said in his first comments on the hostage crisis.

Obama's written statement was issued by the White House after the Algerian army carried out a dramatic final assault to end a siege by Islamist militants in which 23 hostages were killed, many of them believed to be foreigners.Scissors-32x32.png rant from my point of view, wonder what "fuller understanding" means to him huh.png

‘Arab Spring’ Update: Hostages Killed in Algeria; French Fight Islamists in Mali

Posted on | January 19, 2013 |

Mali_Africa_Map.JPG

“The International Society for the Suppression of Savage Customs had entrusted him with the making of a report, for its future guidance. And he had written it, too. I’ve seen it. I’ve read it. It was eloquent, vibrating with eloquence, but too high-strung, I think. Seventeen pages of close writing he had found time for! . . . But it was a beautiful piece of writing. . . . It was very simple, and at the end of that moving appeal to every altruistic sentiment it blazed at you, luminous and terrifying, like a flash of lightning in a serene sky: ‘Exterminate all the brutes!’”

If you have been troubled recently by the thought that Mr. Kurtz may have been onto something, certainly you aren’t alone. We haven’t been doing too well in the Suppression of Savage Customs lately:

In a bloody finale, Algerian special forces stormed a natural gas complex Scissors-32x32.png

http://theothermccain.com/2013/01/19/arab-spring-update-hostages-killed-in-algeria-french-fight-islamists-in-mali/

are you trying to tell me in 20 yrs history will look back and say them Republicans will be the reason for this ?

No. What I'm saying this "The Arab Spring" was bound to happen, and the Islamists/Salafists were bound to achieve power. The question is will they still have the power in (say) 20-30 years? I suspect not.

• Like 1