Ted Cruz, ‘back in America’ after first week in Washington, offers his 47 percent solution

Draggingtree

cruz_returns_to_america.htmlAustin American Stateman:

Ted Cruz, ‘back in America’ after first week in Washington, offers his 47 percent solution

By Jonathan Tilove | Thursday, January 10, 2013, 07:46 AM

Legislators divide first days on the job between Capitol and TPPF Orientation

Good morning Austin.

After his first week in the Senate, Ted Cruz flew from Washington to Austin to speak Wednesday before the opening day of the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation’s Eleventh Annual Policy Orientation for the Texas Legislature at the Hilton Austin.

His opening line: “Well I’ve spent the last week up in D.C., trying to get settled into my job and I’ll tell you, it’s great to be back in America. It’s a different place up there.”

Cruz said what cost Mitt Romney the election were his comments suggesting that 47 percent of Americans were takers dependent on public largesse and beyond the reach of the Republican philosophy of less government. Cruz said he didn’t blame Romney, Scissors-32x32.png

“Listen, the simplest conventional wisdom in politics is that Republicans are the party of the rich and Democrats the party of the poor. I want to suggest that is categorically, 180 degrees false and the policies of the left have wreaked devastation on the working class and the poor, on minorities, on those who they are ostensibly trying help.” Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1