Of tyrants and dangerous old men

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

of-tyrants-and-dangerous-old-menFlopping Aces:

Of tyrants and dangerous old men

Bob Owens:

Jerrold Nadler is an “average” elected member of Congress. He represents New York’s 8th congressional district, and has been in office for 20 years. He’s seen little of the world outside of New York City and Washington, D.C.. He did little of note with his life before becoming a politician, and has done little while in office, other than picking up a few titular roles by the nature of his long incumbency. He is reliably leftist in his views, using the Constitution as a cudgel when it serves him, and rejecting it when it doesn’t.

He’s utterly an utterly average, representative politician, which is why this statement is so concerning:

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said only the federal government should have “high-capacity” gun magazines and that the “state ought to have a monopoly on legitimate violence.”

At a Capitol Hill press conference on Wednesday, Nadler gathered with other House Democrats to push for stricter gun control in the wake of last week’s massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., which left 26 dead, including 20 children.

The lawmaker told CNSNews.com that he not only supports prohibiting the future sale of 10-round gun magazines, but he would like to confiscate Scissors-32x32.png

@Draggingtree

Way too many idiots in this country.

This morning on a local (evil) right wing talk show, a caller suggested we should change our tax system so that taxes would be assessed on all business deals. Can we say The Stamp Act?

Draggingtree

@Draggingtree

This morning on a local (evil) right wing talk show, a caller suggested we should change our tax system so that taxes would be assessed on all business deals. Can we say The Stamp Act?

Goodness sakes where in the world do these people come from wallbash.gif

@Draggingtree

Goodness sakes where in the world do these people come from wallbash.gif

I don't know, but I'd be happy to pay their way back.

• Like 1

Draggingtree

January 1, 2013

Colorado purported to be testing ground for new draconian anti-gun measures

Courtesy Geoff B, a release from the NRA-ILA, portions of which I’ll reprint here:

Governor John Hickenlooper, a former member of a national anti-gun group called Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) founded and funded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, was just recently joined by thirteen mayors in Colorado to coordinate with President Obama to help pass gun control measures here in Colorado and nationally.

Governor Hickenlooper has also gone on the offensive when it comes to gun control by making statements just this past week that the “time is right” to consider stripping away your gun rights this next session.

[...]

As we know all too well, there are those in Colorado and across the country who do not support the Second Amendment the way you and I do. They choose to take an impulsive approach Scissors-32x32.png http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=46353

Draggingtree

It’s been more than a week since police in Washington, D.C., opened an investigation into NBC’s David Gregory’s possession of a “high-capacity magazine” that’s prohibited in the District on on national TV. Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier’s spokesman refused Monday to respond to whether Mr. Gregory had even been interviewed yet. This is a rather curious departure for a city that has been ruthless in enforcing this particular firearms statute against law-abiding citizens who made an honest mistake.

In July, The Washington Times highlighted the plight of former Army Spc. Adam Meckler, who was arrested and jailed for having a few long-forgotten rounds of ordinary ammunition — but no gun — in his backpack in Washington. Mr. Meckler, a veteran of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, says he had no idea it was illegal to possess unregistered ammunition in the city. He violated the same section of D.C. law as Mr. Gregory allegedly did, and both offenses carry the same maximum penalty of a $1,000 fine and a year in jail.

Mr. Meckler was charged with the crime and was forced to accept a plea deal to avoid the cost and time of a protracted legal fight.

Gregory has juice. In the Obama era, it’s all about having juice.

Posted at 12:54 pm by Glenn Reynolds

H/T to Glenn Reynolds for this post over @ Instapundit.com

January 1, 2013

Colorado purported to be testing ground for new draconian anti-gun measures

Courtesy Geoff B, a release from the NRA-ILA, portions of which I’ll reprint here:

Governor John Hickenlooper, a former member of a national anti-gun group called Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) founded and funded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, was just recently joined by thirteen mayors in Colorado to coordinate with President Obama to help pass gun control measures here in Colorado and nationally.

Governor Hickenlooper has also gone on the offensive when it comes to gun control by making statements just this past week that the “time is right” to consider stripping away your gun rights this next session.

[...]

As we know all too well, there are those in Colorado and across the country who do not support the Second Amendment the way you and I do. They choose to take an impulsive approach Scissors-32x32.png http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=46353

I'd like to comment on this BS, as a Colorado resident & gun owner:

From the link:

Mayors Against Illegal Guns’ letter outlines several measures to curb gun violence, including:

Require every gun buyer to pass a criminal background check: Background checks are the only systematic way to stop felons, domestic abusers and other dangerous people from buying firearms. These checks are instantaneous and highly effective. Since its inception, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) has blocked firearms purchases at licensed dealerships by millions of individuals who are barred by federal law from owning them.

Already done. No weapon can be purchased without the Colorado Bureau of Investigation check [they use NICS] and I've been in a gun shop twice, when people were refused....as well as knowing another person that was refused.

But criminals and other prohibited purchasers avoid these checks by buying firearms, including online and at gun shows, from unlicensed “private sellers” who are not required by federal law to conduct the checks. Millions of gun sales – estimated at more than 40 percent of the U.S. annual total – are conducted through private sellers. The Fix Gun Checks Act (H.R.1781 / S.436) would close this enormous gap in our laws by requiring a criminal background check for every gun sale.

I don't have the data for private gun sales, but I've had to sell some of my guns to pay bills....and I get an address, phone number and check their ID before the sale & then issue a Bill of Sale. Until just last year, you couldn't advertise a gun on any newspaper [their rules] and it is still forbidden on CraigsList. Online gun shops have to send any purchased firearms to a Federally licensed gun dealer & charge a fee for it. Gun shows in Colorado must use the CBI/NICS check before selling & also charge a fee for that. This is the government wanting to get a piece of the action by including a tax from private sellers...plus registration is always the very first step to confiscation.

Get high capacity rifles and ammunition magazines off our streets: Military-style weapons and high capacity ammunition magazines have no appropriate civilian or sporting function. They are designed to kill large numbers of people quickly. They are also disproportionately used to kill law enforcement officers; approximately one out of five law enforcement officers slain in the line of duty is killed with assault weapons. The time has come to review the federal assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 and draft a new law that is clear and enforceable and will take these weapons out of our communities.

"Military-style weapons" - a state euphemism for scary looking. The point of the 2nd Amendment was not sporting or hunting. It was to have equal firepower & like weapons to what the state uses.....in order to instill a healthy respect for the citizen of the Republic....because, duh....a government exactly like the one that is now attempting to rule by force....would be deterred. Assault weapons are not semi-automatics. Fully automatic weapons are able to be legally possessed by a citizen with a tax stamp that costs a lot of money every year & they are all regulated by the BATF. Which brings me to the final point:

Make gun trafficking a federal crime: Today, there is no clear and effective statute making gun trafficking a crime. Prosecutors are instead forced to rely on a weak law prohibiting engaging in the business of selling guns without a federal license, which carries the same punishment as trafficking chicken or livestock. As a result, according to the Justice Department’s Inspector General, U.S. Attorneys decline to prosecute 25 percent of those cases while declining only 9 percent of drug conspiracy cases. Mayors Against Illegal Guns supports proposals to empower law enforcement to investigate and prosecute straw purchasers, gun traffickers, and their entire criminal networks.

What an utter load of bullshit. Gun trafficking is a crime, unless you are the Obama Regime. The fact that they decline to prosecute under already existing laws means what? They refuse to use laws already on the books....so more law will make them finally do their job? It is a felony to make a "straw purchase" like the neighbor that bought guns for the idiot that killed the firemen back East.

This is a sh*t storm in their tiny little minds.....and new law for Hickenlooper [a Soros Mini-me] and the Mayors of these suburbs is against the Constitution. That's what they want to break.....confiscating guns just lets them do it easier.

• Like 1