Fiscal Deal: Tax Hikes, Green Pork, Stimulus, Oh My

Valin

The House passed H.R. 6726, the Congressional Pay Freeze and Fiscal Responsibility Act, in a 287-129 vote.

The vote count is not yet up....who are the 129?

House Republicans reversed course Tuesday evening and charted a course toward likely passage of the bipartisan agreement struck in the Senate to avoid the worst effects of the “fiscal cliff,’’setting up a late-night vote to complete a dramatic day in which the critical legislation appeared to be endangered for several hours.

In a second meeting with GOP members Tuesday, House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and Majority Leader Eric I. Cantor (R-Va.) outlined the options for handling the Senate plan while explaining the high “risk” involved with approving a different bill that might die in the other chamber, according to lawmakers exiting the evening session. Such an outcome could make the House GOP the public face of a failed effort to avert automatic tax hikes and spending cuts and possibly cause a public outcry as taxes on every American worker would jump.

LINK

House eats the dog food

Paul Mirengoff

1/1/13

The House has passed the Biden-McConnell fiscal cliff compromise bill by a vote of 257-167. Only 16 Democrats voted no. On the Republican side, it was 85 for and 151 against.

We’ve said all we have to say, I think, about the issues and the politics presented by this particular vote. The focus now turns to the sequester, the debt-ceiling, and the continuing resolution.

Will the Republicans be able to obtain meaningful spending cuts, without more tax increases, out of these showdowns? You wouldn’t bet it, would you?

(Snip)