‘Major setback’ in fiscal cliff talks

Draggingtree

fiscal-cliff-no-deal-as-final-hour-approaches-85587.htmlPolitico:

‘Major setback’ in fiscal cliff talks

By MANU RAJU and JOHN BRESNAHAN | 12/30/12 12:15 PM EST Updated: 12/30/12 3:35 PM EST

Negotiations between Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell suffered a “major setback” after Republicans demanded the inclusion of a new method for calculating entitlement benefits as part of the fiscal cliff package, according to Democrats.

The provision, known as “chained CPI,” is opposed by many liberals because it would result in lower payments for Social Security beneficiaries.

While President Barack Obama has backed the provision as part of a major deficit package, Democrats are objecting to including this as part of the negotiations on a scaled-down fiscal cliff deal. They say they’ve already given ground on other issues, including raising the threshold for new taxes to around $400,000 annually as well as showing flexibility on estate taxes, sources said.

Scissors-32x32.png

sen_reid_to_gop_at_this_stage_were_not_able_to_make_a_counteroffer.htmlReal Clear Politics:

Sen. Reid To GOP: "At This Stage We're Not Able To Make A Counteroffer"

SEN. MITCH MCCONNELL (R-KENTUCKY): My office submitted our latest offer to the Majority Leader last night at 7:10 p.m. and offered to work through the night to find common ground. The Majority Leader's staff informed us they would be getting back to us this morning at 10:00 a.m., despite the obvious time crunch we all have. It's now 2:00 p.m., and we have yet to receive a response to our good-faith offer.

Now, I'm concerned about the lack of urgency here. I think we all know we're running out of time. This is far too much at stake for political gamesmanship. We need to protect the American families and businesses from this looming tax hike. Everyone agrees that that action is necessary. In order to get things moving, I have just spoken with the Majority Leader Scissors-32x32.png