Two Kinds of Crazy

Draggingtree

16044Patriot Post:

Two Kinds of Crazy

By Arnold Ahlert · December 27, 2012

This is a column about two different subjects. One is the slaughter of innocents in Newtown, Connecticut, the other the so-called fiscal cliff. Both have been on my mind, but not for the reasons repeated ad nauseam by the people in my profession -- who make me ashamed to be one of the people in my profession.

First Newtown. Scissors-32x32.png

What part of Adam Lanza's universe prompted his maniacal turn? Damned if I know, but I'll tell you something I do know: nobody else, not even the so-called experts, has the slightest clue either. Which brings me to my reason for writing about this tragedy -- now, as opposed to when it happened.

What ever happened to decency and decorum? The politically motivated frenzy that occurred, even as the bodies of 26 people were still lying in the classrooms and hallways of Sandy Hook Elementary School, was nearly as unspeakable as the crime itself. So were the equally despicable efforts of a news media determined to get the story out first -- and fill in the correct facts later. Scissors-32x32.png

Ironically, the Benghazi story offers a clue as to what these people are really all about. Most of the MSM didn't give a hoot about four murdered Americans, or the most transparent disinformation campaign in recent memory that followed those murders, until Benghazi became a story about which general was making it with which bimbo. In short, we have become a nation where sensationalism trumps substance, and decency and decorum are little more than anachronisms that only a decreasing number of dinosaurs who now constitute a minority of Americans choose to consider. I could say shame on the majority, but I'm pretty sure that word has no meaning anymore, either. Scissors-32x32.png