Eugene, Oregon: Poster City for America's Decay

Valin

Eugene-Oregon-Poster-City-for-America-s-DecayRicochet:

Charleen Larson

12/9/12

I don't travel much for business, but one or two times a year I need to come to Eugene, Oregon. I wish I didn't have to.

Don't get me wrong, the people I do business with are gracious and most people are kind. But Eugene has the worst crime record for burglary, auto theft ,and car break-ins among cities of its size in the entire United States. There are 3,200 auto break-ins annually. The police chief recently announced a stepped-up awareness campaign and warned that people breaking into homes and cars would now be apprehended and punished.

"Now"?

Just one year ago, I was robbed on one of these trips. The culprit walked away with my wallet just as casually as you please in front of two dozen bystanders while I pleaded for help. The onlookers were unlovely denizens of the Occupy camp across the street who came into a Starbucks store to loiter for hours and stay warm without buying anything. This is Eugene. That sort of thing is tolerated.

(Snip)

Scissors-32x32.pngYep, agreed - I live more than two hundred miles north of Eugene, and even up here, people talk about what a dump that city is. Eugene has long been knows for its hippies and druggies and this is a good example of the effects of PNW liberalism is general. It's a blight on the whole area.