Barone: Mass migration from Mexico may be history

Geee

2515386#.UMSU6Bx7FwcWashington Examiner:

Is mass migration from Mexico to the United States a thing of the past?

At least for the moment, it is. Last May, the Pew Hispanic Center, in a study based on U.S. and Mexican statistics, reported that net migration from Mexico to this country had fallen to zero from 2005 to 2010.

Pew said 20,000 more people moved to Mexico from the United States than from there to here in those years. That's a vivid contrast with the years 1995 to 2000, when net inflow from Mexico was 2.2 million people.

Because there was net Mexican immigration until 2007, when the housing market collapsed and the Great Recession began, it seems clear that there was net outmigration from 2007 to 2010, and that likely has continued in 2011 and 2012.

There's a widespread assumption that Mexican migration will resume when the U.S. economy starts growing robustly again. But I think there's reason to doubt that will be the caseScissors-32x32.png

At first glance this looks like good news. Further reflection, however, causes one to wonder if this trend is a portent of bad times ahead.

I have always maintained the solution to the immigration problem can be found south of the border. Ever notice we don't have an immigration problem with out northern border? Can't imagine why that would be.

I would also point out this may very well be a temporary situation. Corruption is still rampant, and if the Mexican economy tanks.......