Flanking Maneuvers

Valin

flanking-maneuvers.phpPower Line:

Steven Hayward

12/8/12

I’ve been meaning to bring up the following New York Times graphic since it was published last month, as it shows that Republicans are at their highest level of control of state governments in 60 years. Not bad for a party supposedly in deep trouble and on death’s door. (Notice, by the way, that Republicans controlled exactly zero states after the 1976 election.)

580x298xState-Control-copy-600x309.jpg.pagespeed.ic.TyelcmqYfC.jpg

So while all eyes are on Washington and the fiscal cliff, outside of Washington a determined counterattack against liberalism is under way, and looks to have some good chances of success. First, several states have announced they are going to refuse to set up Obamacare insurance exchanges, heeding Michael Greve’s always well thought out advice that states actively assert their constitutional prerogatives to “interpose” themselves between Washington and the people:

(Snip)

But the really big news came out of Michigan this week, with the state legislature’s vote to make Michigan a right-to-work state. No one saw this coming, which is one reason why it succeeded. It is a dagger at the heart of union power. First Wisconsin, and now Michigan. Notice, also, how Democratic legislators walked out of the capitol in Michigan. That’s the face of liberalism today: rather than abide by a democratic election result, walk out and try to prevent the legislature from functioning. And then holler about “secession” talk from conservatives. Heh.

(Snip)

Good. I like rays of hope.

We need to cling to hope where ever we find it.

I suspect a certain major political party may in in for a rather nasty surprise on election day 2014.

At least I hope so.

Good. I like rays of hope.

We need to cling to hope where ever we find it.

I suspect a certain major political party may in in for a rather nasty surprise on election day 2014.

At least I hope so.

Yes, I hope so, too.