Big Government targets charitable deductions

Geee

big-government-targets-charitable-deductionsWashington Times:

Every year, religious institutions, charitable organizations and philanthropically inclined individuals and corporations give of their time, talents and financial resources to assist those in need. This benevolence is an essential part of the fabric of our country as well as a compelling reminder of the social welfare voluntarily produced by our free-market economy.

According to data compiled by the Atlas of Giving, Americans gave $346.1 billion to charity in 2011 — a 7.6 percent increase from the previous year. That’s an astounding figure when one considers that median household income declined by 1.3 percent last year after adjusting for inflation.

Americans help those in need — even when times are tough. In the process, they generate a nonprofit economy that accounts for nearly 6 percent of our gross domestic product and 10 percent of our workforce, according to the latest data from the National Center for Charitable Statistics.

This is why it is so disturbing to see the Obama administration continue to attack this spirit of generosity — and the nonprofit economy it supports — as part of an effort to expand the public-sector welfare state.Scissors-32x32.png

I don't personally know anyone who gives to charity for the tax write off. I am sure that there are some who fit into that category, but not many. I do take umbrage, however, with the notion that by taking advantage of a tax deduction passed into law by congress somehow makes one greedy, immoral or selfish.

• Like 3