Sen. Jim DeMint to Head Heritage Foundation

Valin

SB10001424127887323501404578161613763222762.html?mod=wsj_share_tweetWSJ:

DANIEL HENNINGER

12/6/12

South Carolina U.S. Senator Jim DeMint will replace Ed Feulner as president of the Heritage Foundation. Mr. DeMint will leave his post as South Carolina's junior senator in early January to take control of the Washington think tank, which has an annual budget of about $80 million.

Sen. DeMint's departure means that South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, a Republican, will name a successor, who will have to run in a special election in 2014. In that year, both Mr. DeMint's replacement and Sen. Lindsey Graham will be running for reelection in South Carolina.

(Snip)

In an interview preceding the succession announcement, Sen. DeMint said he is taking the Heritage job because he sees it as a vehicle to popularize conservative ideas in a way that connects with a broader public. "This is an urgent time," the senator said, "because we saw in the last election we were not able to communicate conservative ideas that win elections." Mr. DeMint, who was a market researcher before he entered politics, said he plans to take the Heritage Foundation's traditional research plus that of think tanks at the state level and "translate those policy papers into real-life demonstrations of things that work." He said, "We want to figure out what works at the local and state level" and give those models national attention.

(Snip)

His voice will be missed in the Senate, but he may be able to do more for the cause of Freedom at Heritage. So Good for him!!!

H/T Right Scoop

Getting out while the gettin's good?

He's got another 4 years, I believe.

4 years of what? He is resigning in January.

He won reelection in 2010, so he doesn't have to run again until 2016.

Let the Games Begin!

The Ideal Replacement for Jim DeMint: Rep. Tim Scott

FRED BARNES

12/6/12

391888_500688866629917_1045361875_n_0.jpg

With Republican Jim DeMint's resignation from the Senate, Republicans now have a chance to take a bold and politically beneficial step by making Congressman Tim Scott the new senator from South Carolina.

The Ideal Replacement for Jim DeMint: Rep. Tim Scott

Governor Nikki Haley, a Republican, will appoint DeMint's replacement once he resigns in April to take over the Heritage Foundation in Washington. The appointee would then run in 2014 for the final two years of DeMint's term, set to expire in 2016.

Scott would be the first African American Republican in the Senate since Ed Brooke of Massachusetts. But Scott is no Ed Brooke, a liberal Republican who was defeated in 1978 by Democrat Paul Tsongas.

(Snip)

evil1.gif

I'm confused. He is resigning in January so he won't be doing his 4 years.

He was not going to run again in 2016 anyway.

I'm confused. He is resigning in January so he won't be doing his 4 years.

He was not going to run again in 2016 anyway.

Did not know that. Well maybe he just got tired of all the games you have to play in the Senate, This gig came up, and he said...Why not.

• Like 1

I like the fact that someone has finally caught on to the idea of finding ways to get our message out. The message has been too long a victim of the press, who, at this point, controls the image of the Conservative movement.

• Like 1