Better Storm Drains for All

Draggingtree

15761The Patriot Post:

Better Storm Drains for All

By Rich Galen · December 5, 2012

It is now likely that a deal will not be reached between now and December 31 to avoid the fiscal cliff. Before you become an economic prepper and start stocking up on canned goods and extra Tequila, remember I also thought Mitt Romney would win the election.

If we do tumble over, the automatic sequester -- spending cuts -- kick in and everyone is looking for the worst-case scenario of what services will be lost to old folks, young folks, sick folks, and all the other folks in the United States.

As an example, in a Fresno Bee piece titled, "Automatic Cuts would hit California Hard," reporter Michael Doyle writes, "California is projected to lose $27 million in Community Development Block Grant funds ... a sizable chunk from a program that in recent years has funded better storm drains in Fresno County."

I have no way of knowing whether Fresno County needs better storm drains if only because I don't know where Fresno County is. You don't either so there is a map on the Secret Decoder Ring page.

I do know where it isn't. It isn't in Northern Virginia where I live.

Maybe I'm just being a jerk about this. Maybe Fresno county is in desperate need of "better storm drains" and I'm being an East Coast elitist by denying the good people of Fresno the right not to get their eco-friendly, vegan, hemp-laced, recycled-tire-soled sandals wet in a rainstorm.

So be it. It seems to me this is really a problem for the Great State of California and the Really Good County of Fresno to solve. Scissors-32x32.png