FULL TEXT OF REP. PAUL RYAN’S REMARKS AT JACK KEMP LEADERSHIP DINNER

Geee

full-text-of-rep-paul-ryans-remarks-at-jack-kemp-leadership-dinnerHuman Events:

A Renewed Commitment to Opportunity for All

By Paul Ryan

Kemp Foundation Leadership Award Dinner – Keynote Address

Prepared Remarks, Embargoed Until Delivery

December 4, 2012

Thank you, Bob, for that kind introduction. And congratulations to Senator Rubio on receiving this well-deserved honor.

You’re joining an elite group of past recipients – so far, it’s just me and you. I’ll see you at the reunion dinner – table for two. Know any good diners in Iowa or New Hampshire?

I’m sure the press won’t read too much into that.

Anyway, thank you all for your kind hospitality – and thank you, Jimmy, for hosting this event. It’s a special honor to address the Kemp Foundation. As many of you know, Jack Kemp was my mentor. And knowing Jack was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

We met at Empower America, where I was lucky enough to work with Jack and Bill Bennett, another mentor of mine. Jack and I both served in the House of Representatives, and over the years we both took our share of tough hits – Jack from playing quarterback in the NFL, and me from accidentally knocking into Bill Bennett.

Now Jack and I share something else in common: We both used to be the next vice president of the United States. And though I wish this election had turned out differently, I’m proud of the campaign Mitt Romney and I ran. He would have been a great president, and it would have been an honor to serve this country at his side.

We gave this race our all, and I’m grateful for the nomination. It’s thrilling when your team trusts you with the ball – and it’s humbling when you advance the ball as far as you can, only to come up a little short.

But losing is part of politics, and can often prepare the way for the greatest victories. Jack Kemp, were he still with us, could be counted on to quote Churchill: “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.”Scissors-32x32.png

\