Gun Crazy

Geee

gun-crazyPJMedia:

By now we’ve all seen NBC’s Bob Costas (not to be confused with my friend and NRO colleague, Bob Costa) pontificating in his smug lefty way in reaction to the murder/suicide of a Kansas City Chiefs football player and his girlfriend. Costas used as the basis of his remarks this column from Jason Whitlock, which included this passage:

Our current gun culture simply ensures that more and more domestic disputes will end in the ultimate tragedy, and that more convenience-store confrontations over loud music coming from a car will leave more teenage boys bloodied and dead.

In the coming days, Belcher’s actions will be analyzed through the lens of concussions and head injuries. Who knows? Maybe brain damage triggered his violent overreaction to a fight with his girlfriend. What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.

That is the message I wish Chiefs players, professional athletes and all of us would focus on Sunday and moving forward. Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it.

Scissors-32x32.png

It amazes me that the Left can transfer all personal responsibility for such an act to the object used to commit it, as long as that object is personally offensive to them. If Belcher had bludgeoned his significant other to death and then thrown himself off the upper tier of Arrowhead Stadium that we would be hearing any hue and cry for the end of private ownership of baseball bats or limiting seating in sports arenas to a "safe" distance from the ground.

Rush addressed this phenomenon years ago on the subject of SUVs. When reporting on a traffic accident, reporters tend to blame the fault to the driver in error, unless an SUV is involved. Then it is reported that the SUV committed whatever act lead to the accident.

The problem with the Left is that they wish to address "Gun Violence" and not just Violence. Ask the British law enforcement community what the effect of national gun control has had on the murder rate there, or question the Japanese what it has done for their suicide rate.

The truth is that 70% of all gun related acts of violence are committed in just 3% of the counties in the U.S., counties with high minority ethnic populations and a high level of gang activity. Gun control laws are not likely to change this statistic, nor are the cultural perpetrators of most gun violence in this country the types to turn in their guns once they have been declared illegal.

Gives truth to the two old sayings...."Guns don't kill people, people kill people" and "When you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have them".