More congressional Republicans break tax pledge for sake of looming fiscal crisis

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

more-congressional-republicans-break-tax-pledge-for-sake-looming-fiscal-crisisFox News:

More congressional Republicans are breaking a long-standing pledge to oppose tax increases before returning to Washington on Monday to avert a looming fiscal crisis with a deal that increasingly appears impossible to reach without changes to the tax code.

The decades-old pledge from the Americans for Tax Reform group has been signed by 238 House members and 41 senators in this Congress and has essentially become inescapable for any Republican seeking statewide or national office over recent election cycles, especially in the Republican-controlled lower chamber.

New York Rep. Peter King and Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday they would break the pledge and accept tax changes to generate more revenue to curb the trillion-dollar federal deficit.

Their statements followed a similar one Thursday by Georgia Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss.

“I agree entirely with Saxby Chambliss,” King said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “A pledge you signed 20 years ago, 18 years ago, is for that Congress. … The world has changed, and the economic situation is different.”

The New York congressman said he was opposed to tax increases but that “everything should be on the table” when President Obama, House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid try to broker a deal.

“I'm not going to prejudge it, and I'm just saying we should not be taking ironclad positions,” King added. “I have faith that John Boehner can put together a good package.”

________

RINOs, or realists?

more-congressional-republicans-break-tax-pledge-for-sake-looming-fiscal-crisisFox News:

More congressional Republicans are breaking a long-standing pledge to oppose tax increases before returning to Washington on Monday to avert a looming fiscal crisis with a deal that increasingly appears impossible to reach without changes to the tax code.

The decades-old pledge from the Americans for Tax Reform group has been signed by 238 House members and 41 senators in this Congress and has essentially become inescapable for any Republican seeking statewide or national office over recent election cycles, especially in the Republican-controlled lower chamber.

New York Rep. Peter King and Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday they would break the pledge and accept tax changes to generate more revenue to curb the trillion-dollar federal deficit.

Their statements followed a similar one Thursday by Georgia Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss.

“I agree entirely with Saxby Chambliss,” King said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “A pledge you signed 20 years ago, 18 years ago, is for that Congress. … The world has changed, and the economic situation is different.”

The New York congressman said he was opposed to tax increases but that “everything should be on the table” when President Obama, House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid try to broker a deal.

“I'm not going to prejudge it, and I'm just saying we should not be taking ironclad positions,” King added. “I have faith that John Boehner can put together a good package.”

________

RINOs, or realists?

RINOS

• Like 2

Three points

A. Calling it revenue enhancement it is still a tax increase.

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

Abraham Lincoln

B. Can someone please tell me how raising taxes on "The Rich" no matter how little, help get us out of this fiscal mess? (Please use small words I'm not that bright)

C. Does anyone really believe the Democrats are going to agree to meaningful entitlement reforms?...actually shrinking them

charlie-brown.jpg

• Like 1

Retire #Taxby Chambliss

Posted on | November 26, 2012 |

Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss can blame no one else for his self-destructive decision to repudiate his pledge to Georgia taxpayers. His foolish decision to demonize Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform virtually guarantees that Chambliss would face a well-funded and well-organized primary challenge in 2014, if Chambliss were to choose to run for re-election in 2014.

But he won’t.

Mark my word, the handwriting on the wall will become clear enough pretty soon and, by mid-2013 at the latest, Chambliss will announce that he will retire rather than seek re-election.

Georgia is one of the most solidly Republican states in the country. Especially in a mid-term election, no Georgia Democrat can hope to win statewide office. Whoever gets the GOP nomination in 2014 will be the state’s next senator, and Scissors-32x32.png http://theothermccain.com/2012/11/26/retire-taxby-chambliss/

It seems to me there must be something these guys fear more than voters. Is it real, or imagined? And if it is real, why don't they explain themselves a little.

It seems to me there must be something these guys fear more than voters. Is it real, or imagined? And if it is real, why don't they explain themselves a little.

I think a little more fear of us voters is in order.

A deal will be made, everyone in DC will cheer and shout, the can will be kicked down the road, and soon we'll be right back where we are now. This is going to go on until one of two things happen...people really understand the words We're Broke" and politicians to actually address this or Reality does it for us. I would hope its the former, but I suspect it will be the latter.