Death by Euro: Spain Faces Crisis as Catalonia Turns Secessionist

Valin

death-by-euro-spain-faces-crisis-as-catalonia-turns-secessionistVia Meadia:

11/25/12

Exit polls from the *regional elections in Catalonia show that pro-independence parties are winning a huge majority: up to 95 of the 135 seats in the regional assembly, according to analysis from the Financial Times. Worse, from Madrid’s point of view, the radical pro-independence forces are doing unexpectedly well. The next Catalan government will now be convinced that it has a mandate to hold a referendum on independence that Madrid says is illegal.

In a worst case scenario, the provincial authorities will attempt a referendum that the national government tries to block. It will be interesting in such a case to see whether the police obey local authorities or listen to Madrid. At the moment, no one knows what comes next; there is zero trust between Barcelona and Madrid right now.

Catalan nationalism has been around for a long time, and occasional flareups and disputes are part of the normal pattern of Spanish life. But this is different. With EU-mandated austerity programs and bank restructurings underway, Catalans resent more than ever what they say are exploitative tax policies by which the Spanish government takes money from Catalonia and spends it on poor regions.

(Snip)

* Registration Required

Give Susan Rice a couple of months as SOS and she will have it all straightened out. That is with Obama's great foreign leadership directing her.

Give Susan Rice a couple of months as SOS and she will have it all straightened out. That is with Obama's great foreign leadership directing her.

I could be wrong, but I'm detecting a slight hint of sarcasm.

Slight? smile.png

• Like 1