Pat Cadell: Republican "Consultant-Lobbyist-Establishment" Responsible for Romney Defeat

Rokke

Pat-Caddell-Republican-Consultant-Lobbyist-Establishment-Complex-Responsible-For-Romney-Defeat?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=FeeBreitbart, Big Government: Speaking at The David Horowitz Freedom Center's "Restoration Weekend" in Florida on November 16, Pat Caddell indicted what he called the Republican "consultant-lobbyist-establishment" complex for losing a presidential campaign in 2012 President Barack Obama had no business winning.

“No presidential campaign should be run by consultants,” Caddell said. “They should be run by people who are committed to the candidate and not into making big money.”

Caddell, the former Jimmy Carter adviser who consulted on the "Hope and the Change" movie that profiled disaffected Obama 2008 voters who were not going to vote for him in 2012, warned Republicans that the consultant-lobbyist-establishment complex may threaten to take the party into oblivion if not marginalized.

The Romney campaign, Caddell said, was driven be establishment consultants and was a failure of mechanics and message.

“But most of all, it was a failure of imagination,” Caddell said. ““It was the single worst campaign in modern history of a challenger who had a chance to win ... and that’s the truth and nothing can take away from that.”

I agree with almost everything Cadell is credited with saying in this piece. Throwing spears and pointing fingers isn't usually constructive, but neither is not learning lessons from failure. And 2012 was a failed election cycle for Republicans. Almost every assumption our "pundits" relied on proved false, and trying to run out the clock doesn't even win football games, nevermind political campaigns.

• Like 1

And before that too. Several months before that. For my part, checking out last March saved me a LOT of angst to the benefit of myself and my family. When the writing is on the wall, there is no point in trying to hide it with your own blood caused by ramming your head repeatedly against the same wall.

I agree with this completely. I think they did the same thing to Sarah Palin, actually. And what's irritating is that these same people who demanded the candidates behave the way they want turn around and blame them personally for the loss. And honestly, they shut down Paul Ryan in this campaign as well. He basically disappeared.

Kick out the consultants. Kick out the inside the beltwayers. Rumor has it that the reason the convention was different was that Ann Romney finally threw an absolute hissy fit and told them they were going to do it their way. And guess what, things got better, but it was way too late.

The defense is not the offense. It's time we learn that.

(And yup, you knew it @Valin. But I still don't think that either Gingrich or Santorum could have won either.)

• Like 1

I agree with this completely. I think they did the same thing to Sarah Palin, actually. And what's irritating is that these same people who demanded the candidates behave the way they want turn around and blame them personally for the loss. And honestly, they shut down Paul Ryan in this campaign as well. He basically disappeared.

Kick out the consultants. Kick out the inside the beltwayers. Rumor has it that the reason the convention was different was that Ann Romney finally threw an absolute hissy fit and told them they were going to do it their way. And guess what, things got better, but it was way too late.

The defense is not the offense. It's time we learn that.

(And yup, you knew it @Valin. But I still don't think that either Gingrich or Santorum could have won either.)

You very well be correct, we'll never know now. I do believe that Newt would have done a better job of drawing the difference between the two parties. This has more to do IMO with the different personalities of the two men.

I'll make you a small wager that both Santorum & Perry will be in the running next time.

Completely off topic but todays Fun Fact. Since the end of WWII every time a Republican has won the WH either a Bush or a Nixon was on the ticket.

@Rokke

I would just point out there is this skinny old white guy who was saying the same thing on the 7th of Nov..

Is he an angry, skinny old white guy? Or doesn't he care if he doesn't quite fit the Dem's mold of Repub. voters?

@Rokke

I would just point out there is this skinny old white guy who was saying the same thing on the 7th of Nov..

Is he an angry, skinny old white guy? Or doesn't he care if he doesn't quite fit the Dem's mold of Repub. voters?

I don't get angry...I get even. As for fitting into their mold...I view this as a great opportunity to have fun at their expense.

To Quote Stephen Stills..."I don't do nothing that don't make me smile" Life is to short to be angry all the time.

• Like 2