Jesse Jackson Jr. resigns from Congress, acknowledges federal investigation for first time

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

jesse-jackson-jr-resigns-from-congress.htmlChicago Sun Times:

Battling bipolar disorder and a federal criminal probe into his campaign accounts, U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. resigned from Congress Wednesday afternoon and acknowledged for the first time he was aware of the investigation and was willing to “accept responsibility for my mistakes.”

The Chicago Democrat is embroiled in a federal probe into his campaign accounts, and multiple sources have said the eldest son of the famed civil rights leader is trying to negotiate a deal with the feds.

No such deal is in place, however, and Jackson’s high-profile defense attorneys suggested Wednesday any agreement could take months to negotiate.

In his resignation letter, submitted to House Speaker John Boehner, Jackson said: “I am aware of the ongoing federal investigation into my activities, and I am doing my best to address the situation responsibly, cooperate with the investigators, and accept responsibility for my mistakes, for they are my mistakes and mine alone.”

“None of us is immune from our share of shortcomings or human frailties and I pray that I will be remembered for what I did right.”

Jackson also cited his worsening health, writing “over the past several months, as my health has deteriorated, my ability to serve the constituents of my district has continued to diminish.”

Jackson had planned on a news conference to announce his resignation but was not able to bring himself to speak about it because of his illness, the source said.

“He couldn’t stop crying, so he couldn’t give a press conference,” according to the source close to Jackson.

________

Breakdown.