A solution to secession fever – federalism

Draggingtree

1712241USA Today:

Column: A solution to secession fever – federalism

Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Letting localities make their own decisions would stifle silly secession efforts.

Story Highlights

• Seceding over a presidential election is silly.
  • People talk about secession because they feel that the central government doesn't respect them.
  • We can fight calls for succession by letting the provinces go their own way on most issues.

12:18PM EST November 19. 2012 - Since the election, we've seen more interest in secession. Hundreds of thousands Americans in all 50 states have petitioned to secede. Is the United States breaking up?

Nope. No more than in 2004, when disappointed Democrats were talking about secession, and circulating maps of America divided into "The United States of Canada" and "Jesusland." (This formulation even inspired a not-bad futuristic novel by Richard Morgan about a United States that did split.) Seceding over a presidential election is silly.

So why talk about seceding? Well, partly to register disapproval. Though I doubt President Obama is losing sleep over it, that his White House petition site is full of calls for secession is certainly an indication that many aren't overjoyed by his re-election.

But people also talk about secession for more serious reasons Scissors-32x32.png

@Draggingtree

Seceding over a presidential election is silly.

People talk about secession because they feel that the central government doesn't respect them.

We can fight calls for succession by letting the provinces go their own way on most issues.

Yeah like the Feds are every going to let that happen. We must learn accept the rulings of our betters.

@Draggingtree

People talk about secession because they feel that the central government doesn't respect them.

We can fight calls for succession by letting the provinces go their own way on most issues.

Yeah like the Feds are every going to let that happen. We must learn accept the rulings of our betters.

Never.....if only to piss 'em off!

• Like 1

@Draggingtree

Well I also think its silly over a presidential election but dumber things have happen before in history.

@SrWoodchuck @Draggingtree

When I 1st heard of this, I first thought...no big deal, then it became Oh Good Lord! what are these nut cases up to now. However as they say in the NFL "Upon Further Review", and combining this with what several Governors are saying about Obamacare...we may be seeing the next phase of the Tea Party movement. It could be that for many people this last election was nor seen by them as just an election, but the start of an attempt to take this country and steer it in a different direction from where we are heading. Now I grant you Mitt Romney was an imperfect vessel for this, but it was the one they (we?) had. So now the grassroots are rising up? Just a thought, and as always I reserve my Constitutional right to be wrong.

What happens if the US House decides not to fund all or certain parts of Obamacare?

@Valin!

You mean.....like......16,500 new IRS agents? EPA enforcement groups? EBT cards to illegal immigrants?

Everything but Dodd/Frank Consumer stuff......it is directly paid by the Fed.....and billed to the gubmint.

@Valin!

You mean.....like......16,500 new IRS agents? EPA enforcement groups? EBT cards to illegal immigrants?

Everything but Dodd/Frank Consumer stuff......it is directly paid by the Fed.....and billed to the gubmint.

You got it. I wonder what would happen? Its not going to happen, but still......What would happen if.

• 1 month later...

White House responds to secession petitions, calls for unity instead

By Alexandra Jaffe - 01/12/13 10:01 AM ET

The White House has responded to a handful of petitions calling for various states to be given the right to secede from the United States, calling for unity and participatory government instead.

"In a nation of 300 million people — each with their own set of deeply-held beliefs — democracy can be noisy and controversial. And that's a good thing. Free and open debate is what makes this country work, and many people around the world risk their lives every day for the liberties we often take for granted," writes Director of the Office of Public Engagement Jon Carson.

"But as much as we value a healthy debate, we don't let that debate tear us apart," he adds Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/276817-white-house-responds-to-secession-petitions