Rockets hit near Tel Aviv as Gaza death toll rises

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

israel-hammers-hamas-gaza-offensive-004808421.htmlYahoo News:

GAZA (Reuters) - Two rockets fired from the Gaza Strip targeted Tel Aviv on Thursday in the first attack on Israel's commercial capital in 20 years, raising the stakes in a showdown between Israel and the Palestinians that is moving towards all-out war.

Earlier, a Hamas rocket killed three Israelis north of the Gaza Strip, drawing the first blood from Israel as the Palestinian death toll rose to 19, six of them children.

Israeli warplanes bombed targets in and around Gaza city for a second day, shaking tall buildings. In a sign of possible escalation, the armed forces spokesman said the military had received the green light to call in up to 30,000 reserve troops.

Plumes of smoke and dust furled into a sky laced with the vapor trails of outgoing rockets over the crowded city, where four young children killed on Wednesday were buried.

Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Palestinian militants would pay a price for firing the missiles.

In the latest air strikes, three people were killed when a missile hit their car in the northern Gaza Strip. The Israeli military also said it had carried out aerial attacks and had destroyed 70 unmanned missile launch sites.

An electricity generator supplying the home of Hamas prime minister Ismail Haniyeh by the Gaza shore was one of the sites hit by Israeli missiles.

The conflict, launched by Israel with the killing of Hamas's military chief, pours oil on the fire of a Middle East already ablaze with two years of revolution and an out-of-control civil war in Syria.

Israel says its attack is in response to escalating missile strikes from Gaza. Israel's bombing has not yet reached the saturation level seen before it last invaded Gaza in 2008, but Israeli officials have said a ground assault is still possible.

Egypt's new Islamist President Mohamed Mursi, viewed by Hamas as an ally, led a chorus of denunciation of the Israeli strikes by Palestinian allies.

Mursi's prime minister, Hisham Kandil, will visit Gaza on Friday with other Egyptian officials in a show of support for the enclave, an Egyptian cabinet official said. Israel promised that the delegation would come to no harm.

________

If Egypt's PM wants to be a target, I guess that's his lookout...

AP:

IBRAHIM BARZAK AND JOSEF FEDERMAN

11/15/12

Palestinian militants barraged Israel with more than 200 rockets on Thursday, killing three people as Israel pressed a punishing campaign of airstrikes on militant targets across the Gaza Strip. Three rockets targeted the densely populated Tel Aviv area, setting off air raid sirens in brazen attacks that threatened to trigger an Israeli ground invasion of Gaza.

Late in the day, Israel signaled a ground operation may be imminent as forces moved toward the border area with Gaza. At least 12 trucks were seen transporting tanks and armored personnel carriers, and a number of buses carrying soldiers arrived. Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak said he had authorized the army to call-up additional reservists for possible action. The army said it was prepared to draft up to 30,000 additional troops.

"I ordered the military today to widen the draft of reserve soldiers in order to be able to be ready for any development," Barak said. Military officials said the moves were to prepare for the possibility of a ground invasion, but stressed no decision had been made. Israel TV stations, however, said a ground offensive was expected Friday.

(Snip)

images-12-85x85.jpeg

An Open Letter to Netanyahu: I Want to Volunteer for the IDF

November 15, 2012 - 12:10 pm - by Roger L Simon

Page 1 of 2 Next -> View as Single Page

Dear Mr. Netanyahu,

I’m an American citizen and over 60, so I am pretty much useless (though I still play a decent game of tennis), but I want to volunteer for the IDF.

I understand you’re having some trouble on your southern border that seems to be creeping north with sirens wailing in Tel Aviv and, unlike a number of my fellow Jews in this country, I would do anything to help.

I am perfectly clear that your cause is just and the time is now. In fact, unlike an even larger number of my fellow citizens — and quite probably our president — I am perfectly clear that your cause is also ours. You are fighting for freedom and democracy against the most reactionary forces in the world today: those that oppose the rights of women and gays, religious freedom, the separation of church and state, freedom of expression and assembly, etc., etc., and wish to impose theocratic totalitarianism.

You would think everybody would be on your side. But no. Forces of “progressivism” like the New York Times are — even today, while Israel has endured 275 and counting missiles aimed at civilians Scissors-32x32.pngAlso read: SenatorsVow ‘Vigorous’ Support for Right of Jewish State to Defend Itself Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2012/11/15/an-open-letter-to-netanyahu-i-want-to-volunteer-for-the-idf/

Michael J Rosenberg @MJayRosenberg

Those who support Israel's action in Gaza deserve 2 have their photos posted in section of Holocaust museum called: the world stood silent.

Michael J Rosenberg ‏@MJayRosenberg

Tonight is Shabbat. Don't you dare say kiddush or any prayer sanctifying God and life if you support Gaza killing. U are no Jew.U r Amalek.

WeaselZippers

Israel Deputy Foreign Minister: If rockets keep firing at Israel over next 24-36 hours a ground war will likely ensue

Israel Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon talks to CNN about the recent move for Israel to defend itself against rockets fired by terrorists from Gaza. He referred to Israel as ‘reluctant warriors’ saying they’d prefer not to go into Gaza if the can avoid it. Asked what would prompt Israel to engage a ground war, Ayalon said: “If we will see in the next 24 to 36 hours more rockets launched at us, I think that would be the trigger.”

Video at Link...Warning Danny Ayalon tries to explain reality to Soledad O'Brien

The MSM in action!

The Clown makes my head hurt...real bad

@Valin

It's Russian TV, what passes for news there, must be Chris Matthews counterpart. The comments at the YouTube site some hateful language from Ay-rabs.

I sincerely wish it could be arranged to randomly fire rockets into the neighborhoods of MSM reporters. And then ignore any requests they make for assistance.

• Like 2

Mother Jones Explains It All To You

Actually Pretty good hence this comment

Lilly 30 minutes ago

I would expect much better research and reporting from Mother Jones: In addition to what Reg said above, Israel violated a ceasefire with the IDF's assassination of Al-Jabaari, and "some of the civilians" you mentioned were killed right during the initial attack, and included an 11 month old baby boy of a BBC journalist who was blown up while sleeping in his home, among others. Rockets from Gaza towards Israel and the West Bank followed.

Sure looks like Israel’s about to launch ground operations in Gaza

Allahpundit

11/16/12

They’ve been holding off, partly to give Egypt time to try to broker a truce and partly because they know escalation will make the true believers in Cairo scream even more loudly about tearing up the treaty. But no truce is in the offing right now and they’re not going to sit by while Tel Aviv and Jerusalem(!) are targeted. So here we go:

(Snip)

Israel’s foreign minister ruled out regime change as a strategic goal (this time) so their top priority presumably is to seek and destroy Hamas’s remaining Iranian-made long-range missiles. One thing I don’t understand, though: Why now? Why did Hamas choose this moment to ramp up rocket attacks and try to bait Israel into a more extended confrontation? Normally that question begins by assessing the motives of their patron, Iran, and their pals in Egypt, but it’s not obvious to me how either of those countries benefit significantly from a short Gaza conflict right now. Hamas isn’t going to degrade Israeli air power needed for a strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities and a war in Gaza won’t go on long enough to substantially delay an Israeli attack on Iran if one’s in the offing. In Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood wants a confrontation with Israel eventually but probably not just yet; a new war and humiliating defeat would crush their ambitions a year after taking power, and Morsi’s grip on the military probably isn’t firm enough yet to guarantee that the army will support a new conflict with the IDF.

So why is Hamas doing this? Is it something ordered on their own initiative, maybe to pressure Morsi into supporting them full-throatedly? (If so, it’s working. He just sent his PM to Gaza for a courtesy call with Hamas.) Is the JPost right that this is actually some sort of morale-building exercise by Hamas after Israel liquidated terror capo Ahmed Jabari? Or is there a political calculus aimed at Israeli civilians?

(Snip)

Vid at Link

Terrorists Use Children’s Playground as Cover for Rocket Attacks on Israel

http://aclj.org/israel/terrorist-use-children-playground-cover-rocket-attack-israel

fajr5site.jpg?v=6

Hamas terrorists are not only launching hundreds of Rockets at Israeli civilians, they are using Palestinian children as human shields.

The Palestinian terrorists intentionally set up a launch site for their Fajr 5 rockets next to a children’s playground in Gaza.

As you can clearly see from the picture above provided by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), the launch site for their terrorist rockets is half a block away from a place of worship, a playground, and numerous other civilian targets.

Scissors-32x32.png

In response, even though Hamas terrorists are intentionally using civilians as human shields, the IDF has said that is “has called off airstrikes when civilians were spotted near a target.”

This is the complexity and hypocrisy that Israel faces in attempting to defend its citizens. What is hard for people to imagine who live here in the U.S. is the constant barrage of rocket attacks faced by the Israeli people.

Scissors-32x32.png

PJ Media:Hackers Take Down Over 650 Israeli Websites

Rick Moran

11/17/12

The hacktivist group Anonymous apparently disapproves of Israel’s efforts to defend itself from the Hamas barrage of rockets that have rained down on innocent civilians the last few months. Either that, or they approve of targeting civilians by terrorists.

Hard to say with these folks. They have an eccentric sense of morality and justice — sort of like teenagers, which, of course, is about their level of emotional development.

At any rate, Anonymous hackers have attacked hundreds of Israeli websites causing mischief as well as real damage to government and private sites alike.

More Here

A wedding reception in Israel [11/14/12].....and the "Iron Dome" defense system taking incoming Hamas rockets out:

H/T:iOTW & NoisyRoom

Report: Rockets Fired from Egypt Hit Israel

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/report-rockets-fired-egypt-hit-israel_663502.html

Two major Israeli newspapers are reporting that rockets fired from Egypt have hit Israel.

"Terrorists in the Sinai Peninsula launched rockets into Israel Friday night," reports the Jerusalem Post. "The rockets fell near an Israeli village on the southern border, causing some damage, but no injuries."

The Israeli daily Haaretz reports, "Rockets fired from direction of Egypt toward Eshkol Regional Council."

It appears no damage was reported in connection with the rocket fire from Egypt. Earlier today, the Egyptian prime minister visited Gaza to express solidarity with the Palestinians there.

This new front comes a day after a rocket landed near Tel Aviv and on the same day Israel's capital Jerusalem was the target of rocket fire. Those attacks were courtesy of Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

Scissors-32x32.png

IDF: Hamas Using Facebook, Twitter Posts to Guide Rocket Calculations

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/11/15/IDF-warns-Israelis-no-info

Scissors-32x32.png

Hamas intelligence, IDF is warning, is closely monitoring Facebook and Twitter for such information; they’re then using that information in recalibrating their firing angles in order to target the rockets more efficiently.

Scissors-32x32.png

IDF: Hamas Using Facebook, Twitter Posts to Guide Rocket Calculations

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/11/15/IDF-warns-Israelis-no-info

Scissors-32x32.png

Hamas intelligence, IDF is warning, is closely monitoring Facebook and Twitter for such information; they’re then using that information in recalibrating their firing angles in order to target the rockets more efficiently.

Scissors-32x32.png

Don't tell us! Why would that not be secret

Edited to add: I was referring that response to the press, not you srwoodchuck.