Stopping the Runaway Train: The Case for Privatizing Amtrak

Draggingtree

stopping-runaway-train-case-privatizing-amtrakCato Institute :

November 13, 2012

Policy Analysis no. 712

Stopping the Runaway Train: The Case for Privatizing Amtrak

by Randal O'Toole

Randal O'Toole is a senior fellow at the Cato Institute and author of Gridlock: Why We're Stuck in Traffic and What to Do About It.

When Congress created Amtrak in 1970, passenger-rail advocates hoped that it would become an efficient and attractive mode of travel. More than 40 years of Amtrak operations have disappointed them, as Amtrak has become the highest-cost mode of intercity travel and remains an insignificant player in the nation's transportation system. Nationally, average Amtrak fares are more than twice as much, per passenger mile, as airfares. Despite these high fares, per-passenger-mile subsidies to Amtrak are nearly nine times as much as subsidies to airlines, and more than 20 times as much as subsidies to driving. When fares and subsidies are combined, Amtrak's costs per passenger mile are nearly four times as great as airline costs.Scissors-32x32.png

@Draggingtree

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've read this kind of article. The problem lays with our Lords & Masters in Washington. The good news is, sometime in the next 20(?) years the government subsidies will go away....the bad news is, sometime in the next 20(?) years the government subsidies will go away. The question is how will this happen. Given the political courage of our political class, I don't hold out a lot of hope. I don't think most people really truely understand What Is Happening, and just how Broke we are.

And Yet! I remain optimistic!

@Draggingtree

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've read this kind of article. The problem lays with our Lords & Masters in Washington. The good news is, sometime in the next 20(?) years the government subsidies will go away....the bad news is, sometime in the next 20(?) years the government subsidies will go away. The question is how will this happen. Given the political courage of our political class, I don't hold out a lot of hope. I don't think most people really truely understand What Is Happening, and just how Broke we are.

And Yet! I remain optimistic!

I don't think most people really know how much the gov. spends to keep them afloat.

I have 3 words:

Over Biden's dead body.

You can bet on that. I did some research on this when WA was still here. He has a long history of keeping Amtrak afloat, to the benefit of himself and his family members. One son was on the board for quite a while.