Is the GOP really the “big tent” party?

Valin

is-the-gop-really-the-big-tent-partyThe Right Scoop:

Kemberlee Kaye

November 11th, 2012

It’s only a few days after the election from hell, but it feels like November 6, 2012 was a lifetime ago. After spending the week trying to make sense of what happened, reading all the punditry, trying to wrap my head around the ORCA debacle and watching the melt downs, I’ll be the first to acknowledge that I don’t have all the answers. But there are a few things I’ve observed that are worth discussing.

My pals in the conservative world are some of the most interesting people I’ve ever met. They’re artistic and creative. They’re film-makers, techies, painters, writers, builders, engineers, attorneys, gamblers, activists and teachers. Some serve or have served in the military, some work several jobs to make ends meet. Many are brilliant visionaries. They come from all backgrounds, races, nationalities. Some are cityfolk and others drive loud diesel trucks in the middle of nowhere Texas. They’re from all over the country and many from outside of these great United States. They have varying religious beliefs, practices and ideas. Some are gay, some straight and some still haven’t figured out what they like. They listen to punk and indie rock, love obscure cinema and song and some are inked, pierced and mohawked. Far from the straight-laced, didactic, nerdy stereotype, they know how to have a good time better than anyone else I know. Their political leanings fall anywhere from radical libertarianism to moderate Republicanism. We argue about our ideological and policy orientated differences as much as we agree, yet we’re all connected by one common thread – hatred of Nickelback. But seriously, regardless of our philosophical differences we’re connected by our commitment to America’s founding principles.

Looking at the GOP, the GOP brand and the how the GOP is publicly perceived, reality doesn’t match perception. The faces of the conservatives I know aren’t what the public sees as the GOP. Therein lies the problem. If we’ve learned our lesson from this election (we’re doomed if we haven’t), then we’ve noticed the American landscape has changed, and that like it or not, so has our party.

(Snip)