It’s All Over. Not.

Valin

?singlepage=truePJ Media:

Andrew Klavan

11/9/12

(Snip)

There are many responses to that situation. Only one of them is wise: good cheer and defiance. Keep laughing; fight back; fear nothing. Mortality makes time too precious for despondency and death makes a fool of fear. There’s nothing to worry about: disaster is certain. And nothing can be that serious since, whatever it is, it’s guaranteed to end.

Since Tuesday, I have heard enough conservatives saying, “It’s over! We’re through!” in serious, important-sounding voices to last me the next four years. I don’t care how important you make it sound, it’s whining; any child can do it. I’ll let you know when it’s over by putting you in the ground and throwing six feet of dirt onto your face. Until you get that secret signal, really, pull yourself together.

(Snip)

On Conservative Despair

Stanley Kurtz

11/10/12

(Snip)

While the pessimists are honest and accurate as far as they go, they don’t go far enough. Although Thatcher could only roll back the British welfare state to a point, the unfolding demographic-economic crisis of the West may soon do what even Margaret Thatcher could not. The deep cultural, political, and demographic changes set in motion by the Sixties are driving America’s political shift. Yet the Sixties generation is only just now retiring, and that is the true test of the social model they’ve established. What lessons for family life and the welfare state will be drawn by a society of isolated and impoverished oldsters supported by shrunken generations of overtaxed young workers?

I’m not saying the coming demographic-economic crisis is a good thing, or that it will necessarily make society more conservative. Yet that is certainly one possible effect. The point is that the unprecedented social alterations brought on by the Sixties have radically shuffled the societal deck, creating an unsustainable system in the process. The changes sure to emerge from the coming crisis will probably cut in multiple directions.

Obama is taking us toward the European way at the very moment that model is collapsing. This may mean total decline, but it may also mean a painful process of cultural reconstitution. (I play out some scenarios here.)

The West was already headed for demographic-economic Armageddon. Even a Romney victory wouldn’t have changed that. The real test will be what happens when the crisis truly hits, sometime in the next decade. Fighting for conservative/classically-liberal solutions until that moment will make all the difference in how America weathers the storm. The Western welfare state as currently constituted cannot survive. It will shortly move from inevitable to impossible.

I think it would be over if this election had the highest turnout in history, Obama won by 10% of the popular vote, and the dems took both houses of Congress and a majority of state governors. None of that happened.

• Like 1

About half of this country believes that government solves problems best. The other half believes individuals and communities solve problems best.

It seems to me we need to start here. Instead of simply blathering on about "ideas" perhaps we should write books and create shows and make movies about the contrast in effectiveness of the two. On this single issue, we must regain the culture. The rest will follow.

And! That goes for the social issues we hold dear as well. Including abortion, broken families, out of wedlock birth, drug and alcohol abuse and marriage.

For several days before the election I watched television interviews with people on why they were planning to vote the way they were. I was shocked by the number of young people who claimed to be voting for Obama because of "the FREE healthcare". I was, and continue to be, shocked that not a single "reporter" ever corrected them, even those interviewers who represented so called conservative media outlets.

Argyle58! How many times do I have to tell you, the "reporters" are not to influence or opine. (That is why we have such sterling election results.)sarcasm

I like what my congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rogers said: We need to modernize, not moderate, our party.

Well I might be able to agree, If I knew what she means by this.

• Like 1

For several days before the election I watched television interviews with people on why they were planning to vote the way they were. I was shocked by the number of young people who claimed to be voting for Obama because of "the FREE healthcare". I was, and continue to be, shocked that not a single "reporter" ever corrected them, even those interviewers who represented so called conservative media outlets.

From Prague: Quote:

Occasionally people have the vocabulary to sum up things in a way that

can be quickly understood; this quote - from the Czech Republic. It

was translated into English from an article in the Prague newspaper,

Prager Zeitungon

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of

entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier

to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore

the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate

willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much

deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of

what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind

anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a

fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools, such as those

who made him their president."

From Prague: Quote:

Occasionally people have the vocabulary to sum up things in a way that

can be quickly understood; this quote - from the Czech Republic. It

was translated into English from an article in the Prague newspaper,

Prager Zeitungon

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of

entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier

to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore

the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate

willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much

deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of

what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind

anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a

fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools, such as those

who made him their president."

That is well put.

A Dancing With The Stars election?

I'm looking forward to 2014.....without a repeat of 2010, I'm concerned about The Republic. And I really really really hate being all Doom & Gloom, but I do study history. It doesn't repeat itself....but it does rhyme.

• Like 1