Obama: Compromise_ but not on tax cuts for rich

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

DA2EP6L80.htmlMy Way News:

WASHINGTON (AP) - An economic calamity looming, President Barack Obama on Friday signaled willingness to compromise with Republicans, declaring he was not "wedded to every detail" of his tax-and-spending approach to prevent deep and widespread pain in the new year. But he insisted his re-election gave him a mandate to raise taxes on wealthier Americans. "The majority of Americans agree with my approach," said Obama, brimming with apparent confidence in his first White House statement since securing a second term. Trouble is, the Republicans who run the House plainly do not agree with his plans. Speaker John Boehner insisted that raising tax rates as Obama wants "will destroy jobs in America." So began the "fiscal cliff" political maneuvering that will determine which elected power center - the White House or the House - bends more on its promises to voters. The outcome will affect tens of millions of Americans, given that the tax hikes and budgets cuts set to kick in Jan. 1 could spike unemployment and bring on a new recession. An exhausting presidential race barely history, Washington was back quickly to governing on deadline, with agreement on a crucial goal but divisions on how to get there. The campaign is over, but another has just begun. The White House quickly turned Obama's comments into an appeal for public support, shipping around a video by email and telling Americans that "this debate can either stay trapped in Washington or you can make sure your friends and neighbors participate." Obama invited the top four leaders of Congress to the White House next week for talks, right before he departs on a trip to Asia. In laying their negotiating markers, all sides sought to leave themselves wiggle room. "I don't want to box myself in. I don't want to box anybody else in," Boehner said at the Capitol. Outside all the new the talk of openness, the same hard lines seemed in place. Obama never expressly said that tax rates on top earners must return to the higher levels of the Bill Clinton era, leading to speculation that he was willing to soften the core position of his re-election campaign to get a grand debt deal with Republicans. "I'm not wedded to every detail of my plan. I'm open to compromise," he said. But his spokesman, Jay Carney, seemed to slam that door. He said Obama would veto any extension Congress might approve of tax cuts on incomes above $250,000. Obama's remarks were choreographed so that a diverse-looking group of Americans stood behind him and dozens more were invited to pack the East Room. In the weeks ahead, he plans to pull in the public as a way to pressure Congress. ________

Obama unleashed:

Well, there is just one way to fix that.

I've decided I'm not going to be rich.

Nah, nah, nah, nah...you can't hurt me!

Done!

• Like 2

We're fortunate there too, @pollyannaish! My problem is that people are scared silly & all taxes do for my business, is remove disposable income from my market.

Well there is that. But you're only saying that because you are an evil, racist, misogynistic strait white male, the source of all evil in the world. Don't you know that you now need to either get a government grant or find one of those shovel ready jobs? What's the deal? Aren't all business people rich? (I swear most people have no grasp of basic economics.)

We're fortunate there too, @pollyannaish! My problem is that people are scared silly & all taxes do for my business, is remove disposable income from my market.

Well there is that. But you're only saying that because you are an evil, racist, misogynistic strait white male, the source of all evil in the world. Don't you know that you now need to either get a government grant or find one of those shovel ready jobs? What's the deal? Aren't all business people rich? (I swear most people have no grasp of basic economics.)

That almost brought me to tears, @pollyannaish..........usually I have to work much harder for compliments.......

That almost brought me to tears, @pollyannaish..........usually I have to work much harder for compliments.......

Ha! Love ya SrWoodchuck. You evil guy. Glad there are good folks like you and Sweet Eileen left in this world. It gives me hope. :D

• Like 1

Done!

Well, it wasn't going to happen anytime soon, but I know my income cap is now $249,000. And it will go lower to match the inevitable lowering of the definition of "rich". So how many people with the desire and resources to start a small business large enough to employ others, make less than $250,000 a year?

Done!

Well, it wasn't going to happen anytime soon, but I know my income cap is now $249,000. And it will go lower to match the inevitable lowering of the definition of "rich". So how many people with the desire and resources to start a small business large enough to employ others, make less than $250,000 a year?

Stable ones? I would guess very few to none. I just can't get over how crazy this idea is.

Don't get wedded to that $249K figure. As soon as it becomes apparent that raising taxes on those who make $250k or more is a mere drop in the bucket in comparison to the debt we have, "rich" will be redefined to a downward figure. At the rate The "o" intends to spend, rich will soon be at about $25K. In fact, with the employment situation the way it is and getting worse with all the announced layoffs due to Obamacare anyone with gainful employment will be considered rich. Got kids working at McDonald's? They will soon be as evil and capitalistic as us grownups.

Done!

Bumpersticker?

November 9, 2012, 6:51 p.m. ET

The President's Tax Bludgeon

Instead of an olive branch, the President keeps campaigning.

If that was an olive branch, we'd hate to see the bludgeon. We're referring to President Obama's appearance on Friday in the White House East Room, his first public remarks since his re-election Tuesday. If the President wanted to send a gesture of magnanimity in victory, this wasn't it.

Though the campaign is over, the event was staged like a campaign event, complete with a multi-ethnic backdrop for the cameras, a cheering crowd and no media questions. The President said he is "open to compromise" and isn't "wedded to every detail" of his budget proposals. He invited Congressional leaders of both parties to the White House to talk next week.

But that was about the extent of his bipartisan outreach. Most of the speech repeated what he was saying in Ohio two weeks ago. And on the vexed question of taxes, the central dispute in the debate over the looming 2013 fiscal cliff, Mr. Obama said he will insist that taxes go up on anyone who makes more than $250,000 a year. Scissors-32x32.png

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323894704578109152933575788.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop