Just a reminder: Congress not done investigating Benghazi

Valin

just-a-reminder-congress-not-done-investigating-benghaziHot Air:

Ed Morrissey

11/8/12

Nor should they be. Four Americans died, at least two of which might have been rescued had prompt action taken place when the attack occurred — and none of them would have been dead had the Obama administration paid attention to the increased warnings from our own staff and our allies around the region. And let’s not forget the fact that this White House told a fable about a YouTube video for nearly two weeks, when enough data was almost immediately present to seriously undermine that story from the beginning.

Saxby Chambliss isn’t forgettting, not just because an election has passed:

(Snip)

In fact, the Senate investigation couldn’t possibly have had a direct impact on the election. It won’t even start until November 15th, when the 112th Congress gets back into session for its lame-duck return to Washington. The House Oversight probe began last month, but that ‘s because it was just a few weeks after the Obama administration got forced into changing its story more than once about the nature of the attack, its knowledge of the security issues at the consulate, and who knew what when during the attack itself.

(Snip)

Why can't those evil Republicans leave that nice President Obama alone? He's trying as hard as he can. They're just mean!

And now they're just looking for revenge because he won the election.

That's because they hate him, because he is soooo COOL!

• Like 1

And now they're just looking for revenge because he won the election.

That's because they hate him, because he is soooo COOL!

Exactly.

Recalling the Attack on the U.S. Compound in Benghazi – from June 1967

The circumstances seem all too familiar — political turmoil leads to angry mobs storming the U.S. compound in Benghazi. Except this incident took place in June 1967. John Kormann fought in World War II as a paratrooper and went behind enemy lines to apprehend Nazi war criminals and uncover a mass grave. As an Army Counter Intelligence Corps field office commander in Berlin from 1945 to 47, he helped search for Martin Bormann. He joined the Foreign Service in 1950 and describes his experience as officer-in-charge at Embassy Benghazi, when it was attacked and burned in June 1967. He is also author of his memoirs, Echoes of a Distant Clarion. You can read his entire oral history here.

“The mob battered its way in”

The most harrowing experience of my Foreign Service career occurred in Benghazi at the outbreak of the 1967 Arab-Israeli war. Convinced by propaganda broadcasts that U.S. Navy planes were attacking Cairo, Libyan mobs, spurred on by 2000 Egyptian workers building a pan- Arab Olympic stadium in Benghazi, attacked the Embassy. The streets were being repaired and there were piles of rocks everywhere, which the mob put to use. A detachment of soldiers provided by the Libyan Government to protect us was overwhelmed. The embassy file room was full of highly classified material, which we desperately tried to burn. The embassy had been a former bank building, with a heavy safe-type front door and barred windows. The mob finally battered its way in. They pushed themselves in through broken windows and came at Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://adst.org/2012/11/recalling-the-attack-on-embassy-benghazi-from-june-1967/

Feinstein: I’ll subpoena CIA about Petraeus trip to Libya after Benghazi attack

Ed Morrissey

November 13, 2012

One piece of information that got lost the last few days of sex scandals is the news that David Petraeus personally traveled to Libya after the Benghazi attack — and apparently filed a “trip report” covering his own findings. Senator Dianne Feinstein, who heads the Senate Intelligence Committee probing the Benghazi terrorist attack, wants either the report or Petraeus to testify to its contents. So far, though, the CIA and the White House have refused to provide it — and yesterday, Feinstein threatened that subpoenas may be forthcoming if the stonewalling continues:

(Note: Video at Link)

Apparently, Everybody Involved in the Petraeus Scandal Is a Swinging Sex Freak

Posted on | November 13, 2012 |

The CIA chief, his West Point-educated girlfriend, an FBI agent, the “social liaison” at McDill AFB, the top general in Afghanistan — they’re all as freewheeling and frisky as college juniors on Spring Break in Cabo. Gabriel Malor at AOSHQ summarizes the sordid mess:

Jill Kelley, the woman who was (allegedly) threatened by Gen. Petraeus’s squeeze Paula Broadwell and who (apparently) started the FBI investigation that led to Petraeus’ ouster, who went to the FBI for help after the threats and then (allegedly) had a relationship with the FBI agent in charge of her own case, who (allegedly) sent her shirtless pics of himself, also (apparently, allegedly) had “compromising” communications with Gen. John Allen, the Big Damn Commander of our war effort in Afghanistan. . . .

It’s not a love triangle. It’s a love Pentagon.

Good grief. America’s national security has been entrusted to the pledge committee at Delta Tau Chi. This is shocking beyond description: Scissors-32x32.png

What the hell? Is our entire government staffed with people who have nothing better to do with their time than to chase poontang? Scissors-32x32.png

http://theothermccain.com/2012/11/13/apparently-everybody-involved-in-the-petraeus-scandal-is-a-swinging-sex-freak/

Defense.gov:

Statement by the Secretary of Defense on General John Allen

On Sunday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation referred to the Department of Defense a matter involving General John Allen, Commander of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan.

Today, I directed that the matter be referred to the Inspector General of the Department of Defense for investigation, and it is now in the hands of the Inspector General. I have informed the Chairman and Ranking Member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. The House Armed Services Committee has also been notified.

While the matter is under investigation and before the facts are determined, General Allen will remain Commander of ISAF. His leadership has been instrumental in achieving the significant progress that ISAF, working alongside our Afghan partners, has made in bringing greater security to the Afghan people and in ensuring that Afghanistan never again becomes a safe haven for terrorists. He is entitled to due process in this matter.

In the meantime, I have asked the President – and the President has agreed – to put his nomination on hold until the relevant facts are determined. I have asked both Senators Levin and McCain that the confirmation hearing on General Allen’s pending nomination to be Commander of United States European Command and Supreme Allied Commander, Europe be delayed.

The President has nominated General Joseph Dunford, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, to succeed General Allen at ISAF. I respectfully requested that the Senate act promptly on that nomination. http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15673

How bout them apples

Libyans, diplomats: CIA’s Benghazi station a secret – and quickly repaired

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2012

By Nancy A. Youssef | McClatchy Newspapers

BENGHAZI, Libya — Just more than a mile from the group of villas that served as the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was another set of U.S.-leased villas – an annex where the CIA had set up shop, and from where would-be rescuers set out on the night of Sept. 11 in response to the attack at the consulate.

Despite speculation to the contrary, no Libyan or non-American diplomats stationed in Benghazi say they knew of the existence or purpose of the CIA annex.

Top Libyan security officials in Benghazi and Tripoli, as well as diplomatic representatives who worked closely with Americans here, said they had no idea about the compound, which unlike the consulate had no signs Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.mcclatchy...s-benghazi.html

Defense.gov:

Statement by the Secretary of Defense on General John Allen

On Sunday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation referred to the Department of Defense a matter involving General John Allen, Commander of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan.

Today, I directed that the matter be referred to the Inspector General of the Department of Defense for investigation, and it is now in the hands of the Inspector General. I have informed the Chairman and Ranking Member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. The House Armed Services Committee has also been notified.

While the matter is under investigation and before the facts are determined, General Allen will remain Commander of ISAF. His leadership has been instrumental in achieving the significant progress that ISAF, working alongside our Afghan partners, has made in bringing greater security to the Afghan people and in ensuring that Afghanistan never again becomes a safe haven for terrorists. He is entitled to due process in this matter.

In the meantime, I have asked the President – and the President has agreed – to put his nomination on hold until the relevant facts are determined. I have asked both Senators Levin and McCain that the confirmation hearing on General Allen’s pending nomination to be Commander of United States European Command and Supreme Allied Commander, Europe be delayed.

The President has nominated General Joseph Dunford, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, to succeed General Allen at ISAF. I respectfully requested that the Senate act promptly on that nomination. http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15673

How bout them apples

This is what I meant about the housecleaning....

• Like 1

Am I crazy? I keep thinking about what Stalin and Hitler did to many (most?) of their generals in the '30's.

People have been saying for some time the military is the most trusted segment of society. Who would want to squash that notion?

Benghazi Massacre Far Graver Matter Than Watergate

By Patrick J. Buchanan

November 13, 2012

The stunning resignation of CIA Director David Petraeus, days before he was to testify on the CIA role in the Benghazi massacre, raises many more questions than his resignation letter answers.

"I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair," wrote Petraeus. "Such behavior is unacceptable ... as the leader of an organization such as ours."

The problem: Petraeus' "unacceptable behavior," adultery with a married mother of two, Paula Broadwell, that exposed the famous general to blackmail, began soon after he became director in 2011.

Was his security detail at the CIA and were his closest associates oblivious to the fact that the director was a ripe target for blackmail, since any revelation of the affair could destroy his career?

People at the CIA had to know they had a security risk at the top of their agency. Did no one at the CIA do anything? Scissors-32x32.png

FBI / Justice Department kept the White House in the dark. Is that believable? Scissors-32x32.png

http://cnsnews.com/blog/patrick-j-buchanan/benghazi-massacre-far-graver-matter-watergate

Who's doing who in the Obama team's sex scandals: A handy guide

By ANDREW MALCOLMANDREW MALCOLM12655 Beatrice Street

Los Angeles

CA

USA

Posted 09:00 AM ET

All of these post-election Obama administration scandals really seem to be sliding out of control now that the election is complete.

We'll try to help you out here with a sexual scorecard. It's so confusing who was embedding whom when. And now new allegations this morning involving yet another high-ranking, horny general being promoted by the Democrat administration.

No wonder Defense Secy. Leon Panetta is out of the country and the president will be too this weekend. It all makes tomorrow's scheduled White House news conference seem more like an episode of Generals' Hospital. Obama had so wanted to make his rare news session about leveraging public opinion against House Republicans, in the interests of working together, of course. Scissors-32x32.png

The good news in this slimey international mess is that, now that we've got unfaithful wives and husbands, catfights over straying husbands and explicit emails from a war zone, the doilies in the D.C. media have to cover the far more serious Benghazi scandal involving the rejection of repeated SOS calls and unexplained abandonment of four Americans to die there in September. Hearings open Thursday on Capitol Hill.

First, the cast: Scissors-32x32.png

http://news.investors.com/politics-andrew-malcolm/111312-633211-david-petraeus-jill-kelley-paula-broadwell-fbi-probe.htm?ven=rss&p=full

Will have to say this article keeps it well U know interesting blush.png

Am I crazy? I keep thinking about what Stalin and Hitler did to many (most?) of their generals in the '30's.

People have been saying for some time the military is the most trusted segment of society. Who would want to squash that notion?

saw today where not only these 2 4star generals in trouble but demoted a 3 start general and fined him $82,000

saw today where not only these 2 4star generals in trouble but demoted a 3 start general and fined him $82,000

You're feeding my paranoia, @cudjo! I want someone to tell me I'm crazy and to just forget about this.

You're feeding my paranoia, @cudjo! I want someone to tell me I'm crazy and to just forget about this.

Know the feeling, my paranoia doesn't need feeding, I just wake up that way

Sex, Lies, and Benghazi

Focus of probe into Benghazi, Petraeus resignation shifts to Capitol Hill

Bill Gertz

November 14, 2012

Senior intelligence officials and the FBI’s deputy director will face tough questioning Thursday from House and Senate intelligence committee members upset over the Obama administration’s mishandling of the Sept. 11 terror attack in Benghazi.

The intelligence and law enforcement leaders also will be grilled about the FBI cyber probe into email messages that led to the resignation Friday of CIA director David Petraeus and this week ensnared the top U.S. military commander in Afghanistan in an unfolding scandal.

(Snip)

The FBI and Justice Department also are under fire from Congress for not informing congressional leaders about the probe, and for keeping the scandal under wraps until after the Nov. 6 election.

(Snip)

Condoleezza Rice on Benghazi Massacre: Something Doesn’t Seem Quite Right (Audio)

Jim Hoft

November 14, 2012

Condoleezza Rice spoke at the St. Louis Speakers Series sponsored by Maryville University on Tuesday night. After an hour-long address on current world affairs Condi took a few questions. The former Secretary of State was asked about the massacre in Benghazi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9N5ikaZVgA&feature=plcp

Partial transcript at link