Obama and the Burden of History: The president hastens—and embodies—American decline.

EveningStar

:

Myron Magnet

November 7, 2012

Scissors-32x32.png America’s traditional culture of self-reliant striving, of taming the wilderness, of limiting government from interfering with our own pursuit of happiness as we individually define it threatens to give way to a belief that our past and its values, from the heroic Founding onward, is a record of folly, vice, and misery Scissors-32x32.png

"Now it is the land where snarling, shaven-headed louts beget still more louts upon a succession of compliant, abused sluts as clueless as they about what makes a meaningful and decent life; the land where stately ancient towns turn into nighttime circuses of drunken, vomit-smeared degradation, as young people purposely divest themselves of their human rationality and civility; the land where, to show their pride in a National Health Service they think proves their country’s unique compassion and social equality, the curable sick obediently die in accordance with official protocols that ensure that outcome; the land that jails citizens for free speech it deems “hate speech”; the land that, even when it had Royal Navy ships mightier than Lord Nelson could imagine, had sailors so cowardly and undutiful as to let Iranians in outboard motorboats take them captive without firing a shot, making the great ships useless"

That's quite a sentence. But based on my time spent there recently, not entirely exagerrated. But tonight I walked the length of downtown Denver's pedestrian mall and it was the same thing. I honestly felt like I was in a foreign land. The whole street was lined with homeless people and runaways begging for money. One girl looked at me and said "I'll trade you sex for drugs". It was like walking through a bad movie set. So I guess we're already there. Welcome to Obamaville.