two_americas_not_on_speaking_terms_cnKxceO4eI9hCVGijxgPtONY Post:

Two Americas, not on speaking terms

• By MICHAEL BARONE
  • Last Updated: 2:20 AM, November 7, 2012
  • Posted: 1:41 AM, November 7, 2012

michael_barone.png

Michael Barone

Scissors-32x32.png

The contours of the support for Barack Obama and Mitt Romney during this fiercely fought campaign show that we live in Two Americas.

The culturally cohesive America of the 1950s that some of us remember (usually glossing over racial segregation and the civil-rights movement) is no longer with us and hasn’t been for some time.

That was an America of universal media, in which everyone watched one of three similar TV channels and newscasts every night. Radio, 1930s and ’40s movies, and ’50s and early ’60s TV painted a reasonably true picture of what was typically American.

That’s not the America we live in now. Niche media has replaced universal media.

One America listens to Rush Limbaugh; the other to NPR. Each America has its favorite cable news channel. As for entertainment, Americans have 100-plus cable channels to choose from, and the Internet provides many more options.

• Like 1

Thoughts on the election

November 7, 2012 | Filed under 2012 Presidential Race,Barack Obama,Big government,Obama Regime | Posted by Michael Laprarie

In no particular order, here are my thoughts and reactions from tonight’s election.

First off though, I must admit that as closely as our current economy and national mood paralleled 1976 – 1980, I expected a Romney victory. Throw in the shellacking that Democrats took in 2010, and we should have seen a clear Republican domination. What went wrong? There’s no denying that Republicans sent a clear signal that if they took control of Congress and/or the White House, we would be in for a very long series of fights over Obamacare, the budget, Medicare/Social Security, energy policy, etc. As I look at the defeat of Alan West in Florida, I have to wonder if the American people are less interested in “fighters” and more interested in Congressmen who canactually agree on something, or at least pretend to be working together.

The Democrats showed that they are masters at finding seemingly outrageous comments by Republicans, creating faux controversies from those statements, and then playing them up in the press for all they are worth. It’s going to be hard for Republicans to avoid “macaca moments” when the press takes such delight in making them the central issue in campaigns, but they are going to have to do a better job of it.

State referendums seem to indicate that Americans want less Obamacare, and more marijuana. Interesting.

Barack Obama will probably win with a popular vote margin of around 0.5% to 1%. Hardly a mandate. Hardly vote of confidence. And nothing about the balance of power in DC has changed – Republicans control the House, Democrats control the Senate and the White House. Maybe this is what the American people as a whole want; essentially a stalemate Scissors-32x32.png http://wizbangblog.com/2012/11/07/thoughts-on-the-election/