Reagan 2.0

Geee

reagan_20.htmlAmerican Thinker:

Call him Reagan 2.0. By the end of the week, a thankful nation will settle down to anticipate the hope and change that will accrue from the presidency of a Ronald Reagan for a new generation: Mitt Romney.

In online technology, "2.0" is the term used to describe digital advances that have empowered individual users, brought economic growth and opportunity, and engendered a cultural and social revolution. Web 1.0 ushered in the online revolution; Web 2.0 brought it to a new and more individually empowering level. Similarly, Reagan 1.0 ushered in a revolution in governance, with his foreign policy and economic successes arguably dwarfing anything accomplished in the modern presidency. And shortly begins the watershed in governance of Reagan 2.0, Mitt Romney. Romney will spend the next eight years advancing the cause of individual empowerment, economic opportunity, and national decency, building a 21st-century framework for the uniquely American values so carefully put in place by the founding fathers a quarter-century ago.

Blasphemy, you say. Every conservative worth his or her copy of the Federalist Papers knows there can be no other Ronald Reagan. He is the political gold standard, generally acknowledged, according to Gallup, to be the best president...evah. Rush Limbaugh often refers to him as Ronaldus Magnus, emphasizing the iconic and transformative nature of his leadership. And his stature has grown so over the years that Barack Obama, ever the great pretender, has been moved to claim "parallels" between his presidency and that of Reagan, while media elites have spent a significant portion of his presidency trying to tell us that Obama is, in fact, a new Reagan (TIME magazine: "Why Obama Loves Reagan").Scissors-32x32.png

@Geee

Romney will spend the next eight years advancing the cause of individual empowerment, economic opportunity, and national decency, building a 21st-century framework for the uniquely American values so carefully put in place by the founding fathers a quarter-century ago.

Well We'll see. That he is not Barack Obama is enough for me right now. Because one thing we do know "The One" will take us to Europe....and I don't want France....Spain...Greece.

Hinge of history.

@Valin. If he makes it, I am sure there will be many things that we will disagree with him about in his presidency, but what ever happens two things are sure - he will put his heart and soul in to trying to do his best and what he thinks is right and - most of all- he loves this country. That make him leaps and bounds ahead of what we have now.

• Like 2

@Valin. If he makes it, I am sure there will be many things that we will disagree with him about in his presidency, but what ever happens two things are sure - he will put his heart and soul in to trying to do his best and what he thinks is right and - most of all- he loves this country. That make him leaps and bounds ahead of what we have now.

Agree!

What really gets me is, I go to these left wing/Democrat/liberal sites and according to them Mitt Romney is some sort of far right Conservative instead of a center/right Republican...which is what he is. I mean you'd think he is to the right of Rush Limbaugh or something.

One more in a very long list of things I don't get.

Agree!

What really gets me is, I go to these left wing/Democrat/liberal sites and according to them Mitt Romney is some sort of far right Conservative instead of a center/right Republican...which is what he is. I mean you'd think he is to the right of Rush Limbaugh or something.

Valin, what do you expect from left wing/Democrat/Liberal sites? From 2000 until after the 2008 primaries John McCain was a liberal hero who thwarted the conservative agenda over and over with his "across the aisle", "Maverick" tomfoolery. After winning the Republican nomination he became a "Bush Clone" to be reviled and debased by the left.

Romney himself, during the run for this year's nomination was touted by both sides of the political fence as a moderate alternative to his more conservative rivals for the nomination, until he actual he actually won. So much so that few here in these pages actually supported him, seeing him more as "Obama Light" than a serious champion of conservative policies.

Anyone who pins an elephant to his/her lapel and runs for office faces the same treatment from the left.......no matter the pigmentation of their skin they will set race relations back 100 years, in spite of their gender they will go to war on women, regardless of their world view they will be war mongers, etc., etc., etc.

Similarly, the media, who has been MIA these past 4 years, will return to their jobs as "the defenders of the public's right to know", examining in minute detail every move of a new administration and questioning the motive, content and implementation of every policy.

Even this "Reagan 2.0" label will be sufficient to cause liberals to wail, moan and rent their clothing.

• Like 3

Agree!

Valin

Romney himself, during the run for this year's nomination was touted by both sides of the political fence as a moderate alternative to his more conservative rivals for the nomination, until he actual he actually won. So much so that few here in these pages actually supported him, seeing him more as "Obama Light" than a serious champion of conservative policies.

Evidently there are those on the Left with real short memories.

Here's the thing neither parties nominate "radicals" to be president. Both Mitt Romney and Barack Obama represent the mainstream of their parties. I got into problem last spring for asking a simple question...."what was the difference in policy between Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton?" If Clinton had won the nomination, she would be doing very similar things as Obama is doing. She's be doing them smarter (having Bill), and possibly this election would not be so close, but there really is no difference between the two. This is not your grandfathers Democratic Party. Can you image (say) the 1964 party having to vote 3 times to put God in the party platform?

And as far as the GOP goes, it is a center/right party. You may not like it...I may not like it, but those are the facts.

Agree!

Valin

Evidently there are those on the Left with real short memories.

Here's the thing neither parties nominate "radicals" to be president. Both Mitt Romney and Barack Obama represent the mainstream of their parties. I got into problem last spring for asking a simple question...."what was the difference in policy between Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton?" If Clinton had won the nomination, she would be doing very similar things as Obama is doing. She's be doing them smarter (having Bill), and possibly this election would not be so close, but there really is no difference between the two. This is not your grandfathers Democratic Party. Can you image (say) the 1964 party having to vote 3 times to put God in the party platform?

And as far as the GOP goes, it is a center/right party. You may not like it...I may not like it, but those are the facts.

I differ with you on only one point, and you sort of made my case in your statement. I do not believe that Barack Obama represents the mainstream of the Democrat party, only its most vocal proponents.

I agree that the Republican Party is center/right, for the most part, which causes the general agenda to lean more toward common sense than the philosophical. However, at this juncture in our history I feel, and I think you do also, that we need a president who is bent more toward the right than the center. There is much to undo, as there was after the Carter years, and we need an administration with a steadfast approach to this end.

I differ with you on only one point, and you sort of made my case in your statement. I do not believe that Barack Obama represents the mainstream of the Democrat party, only its most vocal proponents.

A distinction without a difference?

How does he differ from the mainstream of the party?

The mainstream of the Democrat party are those whom you alluded to in your earlier post; those who vote Democrat because their grandparents did. I will admit, though, that this part of the Democrat party is shrinking........faster every year.

The mainstream of the Democrat party are those whom you alluded to in your earlier post; those who vote Democrat because their grandparents did. I will admit, though, that this part of the Democrat party is shrinking........faster every year.

Ah! The light bulb goes on. ok its a dim one...but its all I've got to work with.

It is important to note in this discussion that Ronald Reagan entered politics as a liberal Democrat and a labor organizer. This fact is almost never mentioned, but I find it more a statement to his character that he saw this agenda as harmful to the country and began his move to the right early in his political career than many of the things he did later.

• Like 3