In Defense of Strawberries And Cream

Geee

in-defense-of-strawberries-and-creamPJMedia:

What separates barbarism from civilization? About 96 hours without power, it turns out. The plight of a few New Yorkers left without food, fuel, or power — and increasingly without public services — has provided a cautionary tale into what happens when the infrastructure which supports 21st century megacities collapses. It shows what occurs when the design margin runs out. The signs in the disaster area abound. “Looters will be shot.” “Block proteced by Smith and Wesson.”

“We booby-trapped our door and keep a baseball bat beside our bed,” Danielle Harris, 34, told the New York Daily News.

The woman added that she has been hearing gunshots likely fired in the nearby housing project for three nights in a row.

Meanwhile, local surfer Keone Singlehurst said that he stockpiled knives, a machete and a bow and arrow.

“I would take a looter with a bow if a felt threatened. I would definitely use it,” he said. “It’s like the wild west. A borderline lawless situation.”

The New York Times describes what life has become in public housing. The residents dread the coming of the shadows with the same intensity as the Eloi feared sundown. A-woo.Scissors-32x32.png

@Geee there are some unhappy campers in Bloomberg's bouroughs, campers in the literal sense

I can understand this @Pepper. Some people with no heat or food or even shelter, especially ones that have kids - but the lady I saw on Fox that was so upset that she had to stand in line to charge her cell phone!!blink.png or because she had to stand in line for food- for heavens sake, at least she has some!

Uhm, shouldn't these people be proud of how well they are doing in the effort to save the earth? They have tiny footprints at the moment.

Ohhhh, you mean it's just other people who should do that! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The day we got perspective......or a "Come to Jesus" moment?

In a city where you are not allowed to have a firearm for protection, you must rely on the police. Police are harder to carry, though.........and are only minutes away.....when you have only seconds to spare.

All cliches apply when the power grid goes down. You must rely on neighbors for protection & sustenance.....and if you want to live, and you want your family to live.....you might have to get bloody. Defending yourself with a gun, is a luxury. Having to face an aggressor bare handed, with a knife or even a bow & arrow.....means being close enough to see that other human being, and possibly not being able to stop their attack. Most people can't make that leap....and so....they choose their own death or injury. Who thinks about having a bucket toilet, and some jugs of water, space blankets & power bars in a big metropolitan city? Your biggest daily crisis, is how long the Starbucks line is....

• Like 1

@Geee there are some unhappy campers in Bloomberg's bouroughs, campers in the literal sense

I can understand this @Pepper. Some people with no heat or food or even shelter, especially ones that have kids - but the lady I saw on Fox that was so upset that she had to stand in line to charge her cell phone!!blink.png or because she had to stand in line for food- for heavens sake, at least she has some!

Was that a uhhh uhhh uh a Obama phone?

Was that a uhhh uhhh uh a Obama phone?

From the looks of the lady - I hardly doubt it. rolleyes.gif