On Angels and Demons

Geee

on_angels_and_demons.htmlAmerican Thinker:

When actor and director Mel Gibson was asked some years ago about certain difficulties he had when making his film The Passion of the Christ, he registered a countenance of unease and said (I'm paraphrasing), "Something doesn't want this to happen."

Being just a couple of seconds of his interview, it was perhaps hardly noticed by many. But it might have made the ears of people of faith, particularly Christians, perk up. And they would have known precisely to what he was alluding.

Of course, any talk of spirits not confined to the local liquor store is now often considered the stuff of children and crackpots. Yet is such scoffing logical?

Modern man, ever the materialist, may scoff at that question. "Matters of faith are anything but logical," says he, "so making light of them is eminently so." But this betrays a misunderstanding of logic. Logic is not an answer; it is a method by which answers can be found. As such, like a computer, its "output" is contextual to the entered data. In other words, it can only tell you if something makes sense within the universe of information, or assumptions, in which it is operating. So, garbage in, garbage out. But note that garbage makes absolute sense in an intellectual garbage dump.

Some may now think the next question tackled would be, which is that mental landfill -- the religious or secular universe of ideas? In this article, however, I will deal with a little picture, not the big one. We are going to examine angels and demons, whose existence, of course, I cannot prove or disprove (although I certainly have always believed them, as when I was a wee lad already, my mother told me in no uncertain terms that I was a little devil). Yet there is something I can prove: scoffing at talk of their existence is illogical within the context of what, even today, is most people's worldview.Scissors-32x32.png

Mr. Dan Brown must be laughing all the way to the bank.

He took a "sacred subject" (organized religious history), created a fiction around some of it...and wa-la....he becomes as instant millionaire due to the incredible vitriolic, nonsensical, vituprative reaction by those from organized religion! Talk about free advertising! And for every silly response by organized religion that "Mr. Brown has attacked sacred religion, thousands of more copies of his two books sell!

Wish I had the talent!

• Like 1