The Unlikely Swing State

Valin

unlikely-swing-state-christian-schneiderNRO:

Romney can win without Wisconsin, but if he does win it, he probably wins the election.

Christian Schneider

11/2/12

When Wisconsin residents awoke on the morning of November 5, 2008, the news that Barack Obama had won the state by 14 percentage points had to be a bit of a shock. In the two previous presidential elections, Wisconsin had been the “swingiest” of the blue states, with George W. Bush losing by less than one percentage point in 2000 and 2004.

But perhaps just as surprising as Obama’s big win in the Badger State four years ago is that he is desperately clinging to a slim lead there now. In the closing days of the 2012 election, some reputable polls have shown as much as an eight-point lead for Obama. But the attention that the candidates are paying Wisconsin tells a different story; both are looking at it like my dog looks at me when I’m eating popcorn.

If how candidates use scarce public appearances in the run-up to Election Day is any indication of where Mitt Romney and the president stand in Wisconsin, then the race is a tie. (Rasmussen agrees, with its most recent poll showing each candidate at 49 percent.) Obama visited Madison the day after his catastrophic performance in the first debate against Romney; in the last five days before Tuesday, he will have visited Green Bay on Thursday, Milwaukee on Saturday (where he will be joined by noted political observer Katie Perry), and Madison again on Monday. Bill Clinton has made recent stops in Eau Claire and Green Bay, and Joe Biden is scheduled to be in Superior on Friday.

Romney, who canceled an appearance in Milwaukee on Monday out of respect to Hurricane Sandy victims, has rescheduled his event for Friday. Of course, native son Paul Ryan has been ubiquitous in his home state, hoping to do for Wisconsin what he did for his home district: turn it from a 50–50 partisan proposition to a GOP stronghold.

(Snip)

I know its a lot to ask from a bunch of Packer fans, but they did support Gov. Walker, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

Hey, Romney just spoke in West Allis Wisconsin-In back of him were Packers shirts and one of the people that spoke before was Bart Starr!!! Packers fans are not ALL that bad(speaking as a Bears fantongue.png )

• Like 1

I know its a lot to ask from a bunch of Packer fans, but they did support Gov. Walker, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

$(KGrHqJ,!l4E+s559cF,BQJrMKfrjQ~~60_35.JPG

• Like 2