Romney blasts Obama's 'secretary of business' plan as just another layer of government

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

romney-blasts-obama-secretary-businessFox News:

The Romney campaign is ripping President Obama for calling for the creation of a secretary of business to handle the nation's economic ills -- running a TV ad saying that solution would only add more bureaucracy to a cluttered system.

"His solution to everything is to add another bureaucrat," the narrator says in the 30-second spot. "Why not have a president who actually understands business?"

The president floated the idea last week, saying he wanted to consolidate "a whole bunch" of government agencies.

"We should have one secretary of business, instead of nine different departments that are dealing with things like giving loans to (the Small Business Administration) or helping companies with exports," Obama told MSNBC.

Romney criticized the idea Thursday during a rally in southwest Virginia.

"I know the president is trying to figure out some way to suggest he has new ideas," said Romney, repeating as he often has on the trail that roughly 23 million Americans are out of work or underemployed. "He came up with the idea of creating a Department of Business. I don't think adding a new chair in his cabinet will add more jobs on Main Street."

The latest TV ad includes a similar message, asking "Why not have a president who actually understands business?"

The Obama campaign responded by saying the president called on Congress in January to give him authority the streamline the Executive Branch so businesses could more easily access government resources.

"The idea that Mitt Romney would help businesses grow as president doesn't match his record or his policies," campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith said Thursday. "When the American auto industry and a million jobs were on the line, Romney turned his back, which is why he's trying to rewrite history. ... Romney can lurch from false attack to false attack in the final days of this campaign, but the American people understand President Obama is the only candidate in this race with a concrete plan to move our country forward."

The campaigns were trading jabs Thursday after dialing back the partisan rhetoric for a few days due to monster storm Sandy. Obama met Wednesday with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and toured the devastation there, after Romney attended a relief rally the day before. Both candidates continued to reference the storm and its victims in their stump speeches.

________

Obama wants to know how this business thing works...

Um, don't we already have a Secretary of Commerce? What's the diff?

~ Confused In Wisconsin

@mozartlover!

He may have meant....Secretary of Monkey-Business........we don't have a Czar there yet.

• Like 3

~ Confused In Wisconsin

@mozartlover!

He may have meant....Secretary of Monkey-Business........we don't have a Czar there yet.

I believe WIlliam Jefferson Blythe Clinton is the honorary Czar-For-Life of that particular department..

• Like 1

~ Confused In Wisconsin

In order to explain this clearly we must turn to the Worlds Foremost Authority

Irwin%2BCorey%2B2.jpg

One is the Department of Commerce, and the new department would be the Department of Business I hope this clears things up for you.

Here's the thing you poor benighted people in Wisconsin do not have the benefit of the enlightened leadership that we Minnesotans have with El Supremo most wonderful font of all that is good and true and just Marky Dayton. So it is completely understandable that you would be confused.

However we in the Golden State being such sharing people are willing to in the spirit of generosity we are so well know for give you our Governor, for six pack of Leinenkugel, so that you to can benefit from his enlighten leadership. Now you may be thinking we have ulterior motives..perish the thought!

• Like 2

Thank you! I thought I was the only one confused. Now I realize our president just doesn't know that commerce and business are the same thing. And he thought I was stupid! :lol:

• Like 2

~ Confused In Wisconsin

There has been no one in the position for quite a while. Our 'president' has not nominated anyone for the vacancy!

~ Confused In Wisconsin

There has been no one in the position for quite a while. Our 'president' has not nominated anyone for the vacancy!

Is Rebecca Blank still acting Secretary?

@Valin, 6-pack seems kind of steep; how about a bottle of Summer Shandy and a pound of cheese curds?

Throw in a ticket to Tommy Bartlett Exploratory, and a ride on a DUCK, and we may have a deal.