AP survey finds Americans still a bunch of racists… even if they don’t realize it

Valin

#commentsHot Air:

Jazz Shaw

10/27/12

It must be almost election time and, presumably, the president’s numbers must not be looking all that spectacular. How can you tell? Well, among various factors, the Associated Press has released yet another in their long series of heralded, highly respected studies detailing precisely what a bunch of racists you all are if you’re considering voting for anyone other than Barack Obama. Only this one comes with a twist. The helpful people constructing the poll, worried that you might be living in some sort of state of denial, will help ferret out your racist feelings even if you can’t recognize them yourself.

Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the United States elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward blacks whether they recognize those feelings or not.

Those views could cost President Barack Obama votes as he tries for re-election, the survey found, though the effects are mitigated by some people’s more favorable views of blacks.

How, you may be wondering, do they perform this miraculous feat? Why, it’s through the wonders of technology! You see, there’s a difference between “explicit racism” and “implicit racism” among Americans. For the “explicit racism” test, they just asked people how well certain words described various racial groups. These included things like, “friendly,” “hardworking,” “violent” and “lazy.”

(Snip)

May I recommend This Reply From CGP.

(Wow, I am going outside and commit seppuku. )sarcasm

There are hundreds and hundreds of reasons why racial attitudes have not changed in dozens of years:

Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton Bemjamin Jealous the master race baiters, MSNBC, and Democratic politicians.

• Like 2

I've often wondered why there are no published studies that explore the racial attitudes of blacks. It amazes me that the current denizen of the Oval Office could not have gained his position without the support of a majority of white voters, and continues to enjoy support from a large number of white folks, and yet the claim is consistently made that Whites are inherently racist.

• Like 4

@Argyle58

I think they are earlier than later in occurrence.

You can read this older study for $ 31 dollars and change

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103100914707

or this one

http://sf.oxfordjournals.org/content/74/1/205.short

That one must be good, it is cited later in why you may not be getting along with your bearded friends

http://esr.oxfordjournals.org/content/27/6/741.abstract

@Argyle58

I think they are earlier than later in occurrence.

You can read this older study for $ 31 dollars and change

http://www.sciencedi...022103100914707

or this one

http://sf.oxfordjour.../74/1/205.short

That one must be good, it is cited later in why you may not be getting along with your bearded friends

http://esr.oxfordjou.../6/741.abstract

I had read the JESP report several years ago as a course requirement for some CPE courses I took. I had not seen the two Oxford Journal reports before, but the synopses bear no surprises.

My earlier comments were more rhetorical than anything else. I realize that the left in this country play the race card at the drop of a hat in order to intimidate. White guilt is quite real as a societal phenomena and most ethnic Euro-descendents in this country fear the stigma of being labelled as a racist. The left uses this as a form of psychological weapon to stave off any criticism in order to give themselves a political advantage when it comes to dealing with any matter involving a difference in pigmentation. A "divide and conquer" strategy, as the liberals tend to actually subjugate racial minorities, while cowing majority whites with the threat of pariah status.

I realize that the left in this country play the race card at the drop of a hat in order to intimidate.

Intimidation only works on those willing to be intimidated.

I realize that the left in this country play the race card at the drop of a hat in order to intimidate.

Intimidation only works on those willing to be intimidated.

Sounds good, but look at the facts. Even conservative, independent thinkers of the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Don Imus and others have been forced to recant statements that were seemingly benign to those of us who know better, but they had to protect their reputations in the face of the public stigma that comes with the labels attached to perceived bigotry, whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. The intimidation is real because it is part of the social training we have endured.

I encountered a similar type of societal guilt in Germany when I was there years ago. In talking to friends I still have there, that instilled social conscience that originated with the treatment of the Jews is the root of their inability to deal with their growing problems with Arab immigrants. Most of Europe, because of the colonial empires of their past history and the associated mistreatment of indigenous peoples, are experience similar social problems. And, like here, those who are at the root of this behavior both resent the situation while simultaneously exploit it.

• Like 1