Republican Senate candidate defends rape comment, expresses regret for phrasing

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

?test=latestnewsFox News:

NEW ALBANY, Ind. – Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock on Wednesday defended and sought to his explain his remark that pregnancy resulting from rape can be "something that God intended," as party leaders carefully responded to the incident.

Mourdock made the comment when asked during a debate Tuesday whether abortion should be allowed in cases of rape or incest.

"I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And, I think, even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen," Mourdock said.

The candidate explained afterward that he was referring to pregnancy, and nothing else.

"I made a comment that I made quite honestly from the deepest roots and the greatest base of my faith which is to say that I believe life is precious. I believe that to the marrow of my bones. I believe that life itself is the greatest gift that God can give us," he said, adding: "I absolutely abhor violence. I abhor any kind of sexual violence. I abhor rape."

Mourdock went on to express regret for his phrasing.

"If because of the lack of clarity in my words that they came away with an impression other than those that I stated a moment ago -- that life is precious and that I abhor violence and I am confident God abhors violence and rape -- if they came away with any impression other than that, I truly regret it and I apologize if they came away."

Republicans leaders were divided in their response to the controversy.

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney distanced himself from the statement.

"Gov. Romney disagrees with Richard Mourdock's comments, and they do not reflect his views," spokeswoman Andrea Saul told Fox News.

A campaign source, though, said they have not asked the campaign to pull an ad featuring Romney, making clear the Republican nominee still supports him despite disagreements with Mourdock over exceptions for cases of rape and incest in their anti-abortion position.

________

Foot in mouth disease strikes again?