Mann has filed suit against NRO

Valin

breaking-mann-has-filed-suit-against-nro Watts Up With That? :

Anthony Watts

10/23/12

mann_nro_suit_tweet.jpg?w=640

From Michael Mann’s Facebook page.

Lawsuit filed against The National Review and the Competitive Enterprise Institute 10/22/12

Today, the case of Dr. Michael E. Mann vs. The National Review and The Competitive Enterprise Institute was filed in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. Dr. Mann, a Professor and Director of the Earth System Science Center at Pennsylvania State University, has instituted this lawsuit against the two organizations, along with two of their authors, based upon their false and defamatory statements accusing him of academic fraud and comparing him to a convicted child molester, Jerry Sandusky. Dr. Mann is being represented by John B. Williams of the law firm of Cozen O’Connor in Washington, D.C. (http://www.cozen.com/attorney_detail.asp?d=1&atid=1406).

(Snip)

Global Warming and Shrinking Manhood

Mark Steyn

September 22, 2012 1:06 P.M.

More Here

49105main_popcorn.jpg

Popcorn??? what are you trying to kill us????!!!!!laugh.png

Anytime Mark Styen is sued Time for a big bowl....extra butter.

This should be fun!!!

• Like 1

ohmy.png

Michael E. Mann [note: trolls and hacks are indeed *not* welcome here--if you belong to either of these categories, please take your comments elsewhere. They won't appear here. thanks!]

Oh Darn...now I feel bad.....I'm pouting.

Nobel Mann Takes On Revolting Peasants

Mark Steyn

10/24/12

A few readers have asked for my reaction to the news that climatologist Michael Mann has decided to proceed with his suit against NR, me, Rand Simberg and the Competitive Enterprise Institute for mocking his hockey stick.

I’m still working on my formal, bland, carefully lawyered official response, so for now just let me do cheap ad hominem cracks.

(Snip)

PS Given that The New York Times is calling this a 21st century Scopes monkey trial, I rather like Steve Kates’ ingenious headline Down Under: Inherit The Wind Farm.

And Now A Golden Oldie!!

• Like 1

Famed scientist sues National Review for libel. Brace for SLAPP

10/25/12

The District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals is right now receiving briefs on an interesting question: Does Washington's 2010 law against so-called SLAPP suits (otherwise known as Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation) apply to libel and defamation claims in federal court or only to cases brought in Superior Court for the District of Columbia? Two U.S. district judges in Washington have denied defendants' motions to assert the anti-SLAPP statute, which holds that in cases arising out of speech on matters of public interest, alleged victims must be able to show that they're likely to succeed on the merits of their claim. The law, in effect, shifts the way courts decide motions to dismiss, doing away with the assumption that the plaintiffs' allegations are true. It also restricts discovery, so plaintiffs usually have to show they're likely to prevail without the benefit of depositions and documents from the other side.

(Snip)

This is all backdrop to a fascinating libel case filed this week by Michael Mann, a Penn State climatologist who is widely credited with developing key evidence of global warming. Mann was part of a group of climatologists that won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 and has been labeled a leading visionary by Scientific American. But as Mann's complaint explains, opponents of his global warming theories were able to seize upon emails stolen from the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in the United Kingdom to raise questions about the integrity of Mann's research. After the emails were published, Penn State, the University of East Anglia and five governmental bodies in the United States and the UK investigated Mann for manipulating data and engaging in scientific misconduct. None found that he had, but Mann has remained a target for those who believe global warming is a hoax.

(Snip)

This is where things get even more interesting. Mann's lawyers at Cozen filed his complaint against CEI, Simberg, the National Review and Steyn in Superior Court of the District of Columbia, not in federal court. Had they brought the suit in federal court, citing Mann's Pennsylvania citizenship and the National Review's New York headquarters, Mann might have been able to avoid Washington's anti-SLAPP law, thanks to the two federal judges who have found it doesn't apply. But it's hard to see how, otherwise, Mann's case won't be subject to dismissal under the anti-SLAPP statute, since the scientific backing for climate change evidence is certainly speech of public concern. (I tried to reach Mann's lead counsel, John Williams of Cozen, but was unable to connect with him.)

(Snip)

From "Man-Pig-Bear-istan":

ofcourse.jpg

H/T:TheFeralIrishman

Man..................that's right up there with the lady who thought they should move the "deer crossing" signs away from those dangerous, busy highways..............

• Like 1