Obamacare to Force Catholic Churches to Engage in Sinful Speech

Valin

obamacare-force-catholic-churches-engage-sinful-speech-wesley-j-smithNRO/The Corner:

Wesley J. Smith

October 13, 2012

Much has been made of Joe Biden’s false assertion that Catholic institutions aren’t forced to provide employees with free birth control. I noted here that VP Biden lied “through the use of grammar” by using the present tense. The Free Birth Control Rule applies to such institutions beginning in 2013, and hence while they don’t have to provide it today, they soon will.

But forcing religious institutions to violate their faith beliefs isn’t all of it. Little notice has been taken of HHS Secretary Sebelius’s stated intention to compel churches, not otherwise forced to pay for birth control, to inform employees where they can obtain subsidized access. From my NRO article, “Free Birth Control vs. Freedom of Religion:

(Snip)

Not being a subscriber to the National Register, I don’t know whether HHS bureaucrats have started to promulgate a forced speech rule, but I think that threat shows the scant regard Obamacarians have for religious liberty.