The Real Debate: The Good Father vs. The Abandoned Son

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

the-real-debatePJ Media:

The Real Debate: The Good Father vs. The Abandoned Son

October 6, 2012 - 12:02 am - by Roger L Simon

Forgive me for rehashing Wednesday night’s debate yet again, but some of the postmortems impel me to do so.

I’m not talking about the comical excuses for Obama’s failure like the poor fellow who thought Mitt Romney was carrying a crib sheet and then had to admit it was a handkerchief. Or the well-known massage enthusiast who argued the difference between the candidates was due to the Denver altitude as if this were not a presidential debate but an abruptly scheduled NBA doubleheader.

No, I’m talking about the more serious explanations for the president’s incompetence – that Obama was either over-confident (and therefore unprepared) or bored or both. Many have explained his body language that way, not to mention his meandering answers.I doubt the president was over-confident, nor do I think he underestimated Romney.

I have quite a different explanation.

Barack Obama was afraid. In fact, on a certain level he was petrified.

Now I admit I have been making my living most of my life as a novelist and a screenwriter, so I may be no more than “creating characters” here, but consider this:

What we have before us in these debates is an almost archetypal confrontation – between a man who was and is an exceptionally good father and a man who was deserted by his. Scissors-32x32.png

pollyannaish

That is a fascinating article, and I think goes much further into our national psyche than we'd like to admit. I remain convinced, that fatherlessness is perhaps the single greatest threat to the country.

And I am not saying that lightly. I worry that in the next big transition in society, that fathers will be so marginalized as to be invisible.

And that is a very, very dangerous thing.

• Like 1

pollyannaish

And don't forget how Bill Clinton, also fatherless, has ended up responding to GHWB.

I can't help but think that in some way, Romney may end up being a father figure to Obama someday. That would be very much in Romney's character.

Draggingtree

Wall Street Journal

Updated October 5, 2012, 3:50 p.m. ET

Not the Man He Thought He Knew

What Mitt Romney and Jeremiah Wright have in common.

By JAMES TARANTO

Barack Obama has an explanation for his poor performance in Wednesday night's debate: The other guy was an impostor. "When I got onto the stage, I met this very spirited fellow who claimed to be Mitt Romney," the president said at a Denver rally yesterday:

But it couldn't have been Mitt Romney--because the real Mitt Romney has been running around the country for the last year promising $5 trillion in tax cuts that favor the wealthy. The fellow on stage last night said he didn't know anything about that.

The real Mitt Romney said we don't need any more teachers in our classrooms. . . . But the fellow on stage last night, he loves teachers--can't get enough of them.

The Mitt Romney we all know invested in companies that were called "pioneers" of outsourcing jobs to other countries. But the guy on stage last night, he said that he doesn't even know that there are such laws that encourage outsourcing--he's never heard of them. Never heard of them. Never heard of tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas. He said that if it's true, he must need a new accountant.

Now, we know for sure it was not the real Mitt Romney, because he seems to be doing just fine with his current accountant. So you see, the man on stage last night, he does not want to be held accountable for the real Mitt Romney's decisions and what he's been saying for the last year.

According to the White House website, the rally began at 10:30 a.m. Mountain Time, which means it took Obama and his team of writers less than 14 hours to generate these comebacks. Scissors-32x32.png

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443768804578038521345997206.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_MIDDLETopOpinion

pollyannaish

Another good article. He makes all men into mythical characters...and gets mad at them when they are not what he thinks they are.

Draggingtree

Romney carves up Obama’s record

STEVE HUNTLEY shuntley.cst@gmail.com October 4, 2012 3:44PM

Updated: October 5, 2012 6:59PM

Asignature achievement of Mitt Romney’s debate triumph over President Barack Obama in Denver was to nudge the presidential campaign back toward being a referendum on Obama’s failed policies that have left the nation in an economic quagmire of lost jobs, falling family income, a stagnating economy and little hope for anything better.

Obama’s strategy is to frame the election as a choice between the two candidates and paint Romney in an unfavorable light. Millions of dollars spent by Obama and his supporters on often dishonest ads smeared Romney as a vulture capitalist, out-of-touch plutocrat, unfeeling rich guy responsible for the cancer death of one woman, and a stiff, humorless cardboard figure.

That false narrative disappeared as if vaporized by a “Star Wars” laser gun Wednesday as the nation saw a personable, at ease, knowledgeable business executive voicing empathy for the casualties of the Obama economy who he meets on the campaign trail.

“You’ve been president four years,” said Romney as he rattled off the sorry record of 23 million people unemployed Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.suntimes.com/news/huntley/15560295-452/romney-carves-up-obamas-record.html

Draggingtree

Ryan’s Impossible Debate Challenge

By: streiff (Diary) | October 6th at 06:51 PM

In a rational world, Paul Ryan should have a fairly easy time in the upcoming debate against Vice President Joe Biden. Ryan is a man who has mastered the intricacies of legislation and the federal budget while Biden has shown scant interest in anything in his senatorial career other than the AMTRAK schedule from Washington, DC to Delaware.

Unfortunately, we don’t live in a rational world. We live in one where Barack Obama is president AND Joe Biden is vice president. To win a debate against Joe Biden one must be prepared to engage with a man who has hardly more than a nodding acquaintance with the truth.

Most of us are familiar with Biden’s ill-starred run for the Demcocrat nomination in 1988 as part of the Seven Dwarfs. He was forced out when it was revealed that he’d not only plagiarized a speech by British Labor Party leader Neal Kinnock, he’s actually gone so far as to Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.redstate.com/2012/10/06/ryans-impossible-debate-challenge/@

Draggingtree

One winner from the debate… coal miners

posted at 7:01 pm on October 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

It seems that one unexpected group of people may have gotten a decided lift from Mitt Romney’s success at the first presidential debate. According to Business Insider, coal miners – lately in tremendous fear for their livelihoods – may have reason to hope for saving their jobs if Mitt pulls out a win next month.

The biggest winners today were coal companies. Last night, Romney gave high praise to coal and clean coal technology. Shares of Alpha Natural Resources and Arch Coal soared today.

It’s no secret that coal miners Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://hotair.com/archives/2012/10/06/one-winner-from-the-debate-coal-miners/