Gov't Urges Parents to Use School Lunches As a Model for Family Dinner

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

govt-urges-parents-use-school-lunches-model-family-dinnerCNS News:

(CNSNews.com) - Government-approved school meals as a model for the family dinner table?

Responding to concerns that students are throwing away the healthy food on their cafeteria trays, the U.S. Department of Agriculture acknowledged that adapting to the changes "may be challenging at first, as students are introduced to new flavors and foods in the cafeteria."

But the government also says parents can help school make the taste-transition easier:

"We know that many parents are already making changes at home to help the whole family eat healthier," the USDA blogged on Monday. "We recommend reviewing school menus with kids at home and working to incorporate foods that are being served at school into family meals as much as possible."

A recent video produced by high school students in Kansas mocked the healthy school lunches, showing young athletes fainting from starvation. "We are hungry," they lip-synched, as one by one they topple over.

The USDA blog appears to be a response to that satire:

"We know it is important that students get the calories and nutrition they need to stay alert and energized through the day, and schools are doing a number of things to make sure this happens," wrote Dr. Janey Thornton, USDA's deputy under secretary for food, nutrition and consumer services.

Schools can "allow kids a certain amount of flexibility to choose only the foods they intend to eat," the blog said. "We refer to this as “offer vs. serve” (OVS). OVS allows students to decline one or two of the food items offered in a school lunch. Schools can decide how to implement OVS, including which grades and how many items can be declined."

________

The thing is, the kids seem to be declining all of them...

Kansas Republican Tim Huelskamp issued a challenge to the U.S. Department of Agriculture on Tuesday: Adopt the same calorie restrictions and menu standards in the department’s cafeterias as the USDA now requires in the nation’s public schools.

While students pick at their vegetables, USDA’s cafeteria menus are loaded with unhealthy options for government employees — from pesto chicken pizza to BLTs with cheddar cheese, Cuban pork paninis to Philly steak subs, cheeseburgers to French toast.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/02/congressman-challenges-usda-to-follow-own-school-lunch-restrictions/#ixzz28GBAUCUS

Maybe we should look at the wasted food......as government "composting" or sell it as animal fodder to replace corn....a staple that is being used for fuel.

• Like 1

Gubmint nannies have no pity...

Food isn't filling & tastes awful sh**ty crummy...

Kids need food that's full of calories....

Not more a-holes justifying salaries....

Give me food that feels like I ate....

Not just veggies lookin' good on a plate....

Maybe we should look at the wasted food......as government "composting" or sell it as animal fodder to replace corn....a staple that is being used for fuel.

I think it does go to hog farmers. I wonder if they will eat it?

pollyannaish

Well, according to that drudge story the other day, some guy in Oregon got eaten by his hogs. Maybe that's why. They were mad and hungry!

I was at a micro-brewery one afternoon, talking to the brew master about a new chocolate stout that they had planned, and a farmer in a Dodge pulled up & threw some plastic in the bed of his truck. I went out to talk to him, as the brew dogs shoveled the wort into the truck. The hog farmer said they really, really liked the stuff from Ironworks!

http://www.brewhopping.com/spot_brewery_Ironworks_Brewery_and_Pub_Lakewood_CO_113829.aspx

Well, according to that drudge story the other day, some guy in Oregon got eaten by his hogs. Maybe that's why. They were mad and hungry!

I bet you are right. "What the hell is this slop?"

• Like 1

I was at a micro-brewery one afternoon, talking to the brew master about a new chocolate stout that they had planned, and a farmer in a Dodge pulled up & threw some plastic in the bed of his truck. I went out to talk to him, as the brew dogs shoveled the wort into the truck. The hog farmer said they really, really liked the stuff from Ironworks!

http://www.brewhoppi..._CO_113829.aspx

Is that how they make "pickled" pig feet?