Rheo

On the Cannibals

Column: After debate, the media devour Obama and Lehrer

continetti-540x180.jpg

AP

BY: Matthew Continetti

October 5, 2012 5:00 am

Scissors-32x32.png

As Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama debated Wednesday evening it was possible to detect, if one was alert, the ground of American politics shift beneath one’s feet. Sometime during the first 45 minutes or so, when it became clear that Romney, not moderator Jim Lehrer, was in command, the tectonic plates of Obama’s ego and of reality crashed together. The tremor that followed was pronounced. What had been to the Democrats and the media an irrevocable fact—that Romney’s campaign was in shambles and Obama’s reelection assured—crashed resoundingly. Like all earthquakes the convulsion produced panic, in this case among liberals. Their response was typical of their kind: They devoured their own.

“A liberal,” said Robert Frost, “is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.” Wednesday saw poetic confirmation of his aphorism. Not only was Obama unable to take his own side against Romney; afterwards Democrats and the liberal media could defend neither their fellow partisan Obama nor their colleague Lehrer. The hysterical and self-destructive frenzy that resulted was nothing less than spectacular. Patrons of social media could watch, in real time, as the president’s most ferocious champions realized that the avatar of hope and change could not withstand a direct and withering criticism; could convey only diffidence and contempt and exhaustion when confronted by a talented opponent; and could not possibly live up to the mythological expectations that his devotees had constructed for him.

Read the whole thing.

H/T Hot Air

Andrew Klavan

A Fantasy Election, an Imaginary Man

Barack Obama has always been less real than dream—a media dream.

5 October 2012

Scissors-32x32.png

Even before his inauguration, Barack Obama was an imaginary man, the creation of his admirers. Think back to the 2008 Time magazine cover depicting him as FDR, the Newsweek cover of the same year on which he was shown casting Lincoln’s shadow, or the $1.4 million Nobel Peace Prize awarded to him “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples”—this in 2009, less than a year after he had taken office. It was not that Obama had done nothing to deserve these outsized comparisons and honors—it was not just that he had done nothing—it was that he seemed for all the world to be a blank screen on which such hysterical fantasies could too easily be projected, a two-dimensional paper doll just waiting to be dressed in leftist dreams.

This weird quality of emptiness incited the imaginations of his opponents as well. Among the more paranoid on the right, he’s been called several kinds of Manchurian Candidate: a radical disguised as a moderate, a Muslim disguised as a Christian, a foreigner disguised as an American, and so on. The idea was that his hollow identity was his own insidious creation, the result of sealed college records, votes of “present” in the Illinois state senate, and a supra-partisan persona carefully crafted after a scuttled lifetime of revolutionary ferocity.

H/T Instapundit

Wow, next weeks cover.

559493_3932749553564_1471807555_n.jpg

Wow! I just read an online headline that the Obama folks are pushing early voting. I can see why.

Another snippet from Rasmussen:

Saturday, October 06, 2012

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Saturday shows Mitt Romney attracting support from 49% of voters nationwide, while President Obama earns the vote from 47%. Two percent (2%) prefer some other candidate, and two percent (2%) are undecided.

These results are based upon nightly interviews and reported on a three-day rolling average basis. As a result, only about two-thirds of the interviews for today’s update were conducted after the presidential debate. Sunday morning’s update will be the first national polling based entirely upon post-debate interviews.

Still, the numbers reflect quite a debate bounce for Romney. Heading into Wednesday’s showdown, it was the president who enjoyed a two-point advantage. Today is the first time Romney has been ahead by even a single point since mid-September. See daily tracking history. As with all bounces, it remains to be seen whether it is a temporary blip or signals a lasting change in the race.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

I'm sorry. Call me old fashioned but This is just weird!

yep, that is weird

Now it could just be me, but I've always thought that it is a good thing to be on a first name basis with someone I'm going to cuddle with....and baring sub zero temps. I prefer they be of the opposite sex.

I'm sorry. Call me old fashioned but This is just weird!

yep, that is weird

Now it could just be me, but I've always thought that it is a good thing to be on a first name basis with someone I'm going to cuddle with....and baring sub zero temps. I prefer they be of the opposite sex.

that's been my thinking too

58371_474296662603248_226134064_n.jpg

When Obama was smoking Dope on the beach: A Young Mitt Romney’s Other Mission: Romance

Before there was Romney the presidential candidate, there was Romney the romantic. In this week’s cover story, Jon Meacham looks at how Romney’s identity was shaped by his Mormon roots. To illustrate this formative time in the presidential candidate’s life, we turned to a surprising photo found in the archives that shows the rarely-seen personal side of the candidate.

On a recent cover shoot I asked Romney about the image and found out that around 1968, while serving as a Mormon missionary in France, a young Mitt made several photographs with the help of his LDS friends. He described how the photo was taken, explaining that it was playfully staged for his high school girlfriend and soon-to-be wife, Ann Davies. Romney revealed that the photo is actually one of a series made during his time abroad.

The pictoral gesture worked. Davies joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints prior to marrying Romney in 1969, only months after Romney returned to the U.S. The pair later attended Brigham Young University before settling in Massachusetts, where they raised five sons together.

Read more: http://lightbox.time.../#ixzz28Yjn2bom

• Like 1

WestVirginiaRebel

Letterman suggests Romney didn't pay taxes, calls him a "felon"

Letterman, host of CBS’ “Late Show,” made the statement Friday night when telling the audience about a recent poll on what Americans would most like to see, reported first by the website NewsBusters.

Letterman said that 6 percent of Americans wanted to see Romney’s tax returns.

"Yeah, we want to get a look at those tax returns because I believe we will discover that the man has not paid a nickel in United States federal income tax," Letterman said. "That’s right, we have a felon running for president."

Letterman’s comment was similar to one made this summer by Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutters.

Cutter suggested in July that if Romney misrepresented on federal documents when he left his company Bain Capital, that would be a “felony.”

In July, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada), citing an anonymous source, accused Romney of not paying any taxes for 10 years. Reid has not revealed where he got his information.

Meanwhile, a letter from Price Waterhouse Coopers states that Romney paid an average of 20 percent in taxes every year from 1999 to 2009.

And Letterman wonders why he's losing to Leno these days.

I was watching a football game earlier and a commercial came on showing empty seats. In spacecraft, airplaines, etc. All empty. I kept waiting for the 'I am Mitt Romney and I approved this ad.", only to find out it was an Audi commercial. Wonder if it was also an editorial statement?? smile.png

pollyannaish

I was watching a football game earlier and a commercial came on showing empty seats. In spacecraft, airplaines, etc. All empty. I kept waiting for the 'I am Mitt Romney and I approved this ad.", only to find out it was an Audi commercial. Wonder if it was also an editorial statement?? smile.png

Well, as an Audi driver, I approve this message. :D

• Like 1