Obama offers himself up as 'eye candy' on 'The View'

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

usa-campaign-view-idUSL1E8KOJ2R20120924Reuters:

NEW YORK, Sept 24 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Monday sought to woo women voters at a taping of the daytime talk show "The View," by flirting with his wife and bearing gifts for the hosts, but he could not escape tough questions on the economy that have dominated the election.

When host and veteran journalist Barbara Walters kidded Michelle Obama about bringing the president as her "date," Obama quipped, "I've been told I'm just eye candy here."

The appearance, which will air on Tuesday on the ABC television network, marks the first time the Obamas have appeared together on the one-hour show, which features four female hosts, including Hollywood icon Whoopi Goldberg, and is popular with middle-income women voters.

The taping in New York was squeezed in before Obama's obligations at the United Nations General Assembly's annual meeting, where he is delivering a Tuesday morning speech.

During the show, the Obamas joked about their upcoming anniversary and presented the hosts with White House cloth napkins, golf balls, candy and bottles of Obama's home-brewed beer. The couple's 20th anniversary will fall on the day of the first presidential debate, Oct. 3.

"Our first wedding anniversary, I totally forgot," Michelle dead-panned.

The president jokingly responded: "Cold."

Obama and his Republican opponent, Mitt Romney, are both fighting hard for the women's vote.

In 2008, middle-class women were key to Obama's presidential win, and Obama has worked to get them to the polls again. His campaign this summer renewed its focus on social issues such as birth control, women's health and reproductive rights.

Democrats have accused Republicans of declaring a "war on women," while Romney's campaign has slammed Obama's policies for weakening the economy and hurting women in the work force.

During the taping, host Elisabeth Hasselbeck, a vocal Republican supporter, asked if the Obama administration had failed the middle class.

"Everything that we've done has been designed to deal with not only the immediate crisis, but make sure that the middle class, which had been struggling for a decade before that, is feeling more secure," Obama said. "The problems that were created aren't going to be solved overnight."

Hasselbeck also pressed Obama about his previous comments that he cannot end Washington gridlock just from the inside, telling him: "You are Washington, you're about as inside as it gets."

"The idea is that you can't change Washington just from the inside, you've got to mobilize the American people. When the American people are engaged and involved, then change always happens," Obama replied.

"We can't play just an inside game where special interests and lobbyists and big money and folks writin' big checks, they're the only ones who have influence."

Romney's wife Ann will also make a stab at winning over television viewers chatting with comedian Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" in her first late-night interview on Tuesday, according to the NBC network.

Ann Romney will give her thoughts on family life and the coming election, the network said in a statement.

________

Eye candy, or an eyesore?

I saw a clip of this this morning and Michelle was just sitting there like a lump beside him looking glum and glaring. It was weird. I'm not interested enough to watch the whole thing to find out why.

Seems sort of conceited .... but I guess that is par for the course.

That's racist!

Sort...Port...Ships dock at a port...Ships brought African Slaves to America...Blacks have been subject to racism...Racism.

I feel it only fair to warn you to watch that kind of racist talk.

Have the networks had a Come to Jesus moment and recognized that people don't want their biased 'news' anymore? Orrrrr, did Univision make them look ridiculous?

Has Obama noticed that he is getting blasted on his decision process?

• Like 1

Have the networks had a Come to Jesus moment and recognized that people don't want their biased 'news' anymore? Orrrrr, did Univision make them look ridiculous?

Keep telling yourself that.

They wanted him meeting with important people and saying important things that they could cover. Not going on a daytime women's show, that Serious people...like them watch.

They wanted him meeting with important people and saying important things that they could cover. Not going on a daytime women's show, that Serious people...like them watch.

smile.png Well, it was just a question. I watched the Ed show and their bias is firmly in place. But he isn't a news program though. I guess I will just stick to Fox and the written word of others.

I did notice Fox today was fuzzing up something. They kept saying it had been two decades since a president failed to meet with leaders at the U.N. It would have been during Bush 41's last days in office. They would not say it was Bush.

smile.png Well, it was just a question. I watched the Ed show and their bias is firmly in place. But he isn't a news program though. I guess I will just stick to Fox and the written word of others.

Without someone putting a gun to your head? laugh.png

Din! Din! Din! 80

You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!

Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,

By the livin' Gawd that made you,

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

I use the shows on msdnc to sharpen my debating skills. Actually I met someone tonite on Twitter while telling them Ed was, in so many words, an idiot. We had a long conversation about Romney''s talk to about education. It was very civil and we are still talking.

• Like 2

I use the shows on msdnc to sharpen my debating skills.

Ed has debating skills? biggrin.png

Actually I met someone tonite on Twitter while telling them Ed was, in so many words, an idiot. We had a long conversation about Romney''s talk to about education. It was very civil and we are still talking.

That is always a good thing.

I did notice Fox today was fuzzing up something. They kept saying it had been two decades since a president failed to meet with leaders at the U.N. It would have been during Bush 41's last days in office. They would not say it was Bush.

A reporter noted that had the pResident Obama met with any foreign leader that then the opponent (gov Romney) could also meet with that leader. And in any two photos say one of Obama and Bibi an one of Romney and Bibi, it would be no contest as to who looked more Presidential.

'Eye candy'? That is why we Snicker when we hear him.

Bada Bing!

A melted Hershey bar

Oh! Hershey bar ..... brown ..... African American skin color .... Racist!

(How was that, @Valin?)

'Eye candy'? That is why we Snicker when we hear him.

Bada Bing!

A melted Hershey bar

Oh! Hershey bar ..... brown ..... African American skin color .... Racist!

(How was that, @Valin?)

You Nailed It!!! Although you could have also mentioned that Slavery was found mostly in the South & and the Temperature is higher there so Hershey bars melt faster. But not bad...not bad at all. You have real MSNBC potential!