2012 Presidential Election part 5

Valin

Newly Unearthed Obama Video: “Rich people are all for nonviolence. Why wouldn’t they be? They’ve got what they want.”

Patterico

10/3/12

(Snip)

The following clips are from 2002. Obama is speaking in a church at a 2002 Martin Luther King Jr. Day memorial service.

The full speech is here, and by and large it is a nice speech by a rising politician. Obama speaks about the need for empathy in society, about taking responsibility for our actions, and the audacity of hope. He levels barbs at the wealthy and unempathetic, but also criticizes those who blame the system for the arrest of O.J. Simpson and the crack epidemic. Although the audio quality is poor because of the echo in the church, one can tell that Obama is well spoken and articulate. Joe Biden would have been proud.

The philosophy of nonviolence only makes sense if the powerful can be made to recognize themselves in the powerless. It only makes sense if the powerless can be made to recognize themselves in the powerful. You know, the principle of empathy gives broader meaning, by the way, to Dr. King’s philosophy of nonviolence. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but rich people are all for nonviolence. Why wouldn’t they be? They’ve got what they want. They want to make sure people don’t take their stuff. But the principle of empathy recognizes that there are more subtle forms of violence to which we are answerable. The spirit of empathy condemns not only the use of firehoses and attack dogs to keep people down but also accountants and tax loopholes to keep people down. I’m not saying that what Enron executives did to their employees is the moral equivalent of what Bull Connor did to black folks, but I’ll tell you what, the employees at Enron feel violated. When a company town sees its plant closing because some distant executives made some decision despite the wage concessions, despite the tax breaks, and they see their entire economy collapsing, they feel violence…

Draggingtree

The Electoral College Is Brilliant, And We Would Be Insane To Abolish It

Walter Hickey|Oct. 3, 2012, 1:33 PM

No matter who is running, each presidential election comes with a de facto bogeyman already picked — the election process itself.

The electoral college is loathed, depending on the election, by Democrats (2000), Republicans (2012), Third Party candidates (1804-2012) and other activist groups.

Still, this is one of the best systems out there without a doubt.

Sure, other nations have other electoral systems, but few are as geographically massive or Scissors-32x32.png

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-electoral-college-is-brilliant-2012-10#ixzz28Gba3wzH

Newly Unearthed Obama Video: “Rich people are all for nonviolence. Why wouldn’t they be? They’ve got what they want.”

Patterico

10/3/12

(Snip)

The following clips are from 2002. Obama is speaking in a church at a 2002 Martin Luther King Jr. Day memorial service.

The full speech is here, and by and large it is a nice speech by a rising politician. Obama speaks about the need for empathy in society, about taking responsibility for our actions, and the audacity of hope. He levels barbs at the wealthy and unempathetic, but also criticizes those who blame the system for the arrest of O.J. Simpson and the crack epidemic. Although the audio quality is poor because of the echo in the church, one can tell that Obama is well spoken and articulate. Joe Biden would have been proud.

The philosophy of nonviolence only makes sense if the powerful can be made to recognize themselves in the powerless. It only makes sense if the powerless can be made to recognize themselves in the powerful. You know, the principle of empathy gives broader meaning, by the way, to Dr. King’s philosophy of nonviolence. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but rich people are all for nonviolence. Why wouldn’t they be? They’ve got what they want. They want to make sure people don’t take their stuff. But the principle of empathy recognizes that there are more subtle forms of violence to which we are answerable. The spirit of empathy condemns not only the use of firehoses and attack dogs to keep people down but also accountants and tax loopholes to keep people down. I’m not saying that what Enron executives did to their employees is the moral equivalent of what Bull Connor did to black folks, but I’ll tell you what, the employees at Enron feel violated. When a company town sees its plant closing because some distant executives made some decision despite the wage concessions, despite the tax breaks, and they see their entire economy collapsing, they feel violence…

Stephanie Cutter: Romney Must Apologize for Race Tape

Jeffrey Lord on 10.3.12 @ 3:02PM

This is rich.

Stephanie Cutter, the Obama spokesperson and deputy campaign manager, is being quoted over there at Talking Points Memo as going on CNN and saying the person who needs to apologize for then-Senator Obama's race baiting 2007 tape is…. Mitt Romney! Really!

Here's the quote from TPM:

"I think allies to Mitt Romney are responsible and the Romney campaign should stand up and do the same -- the right thing and say it was the wrong thing to do," Cutter said. "Mitt Romney has been taking heat now for weeks about the comments behind closed doors."

(Snip)

Obama plays the Race/Class Envy Card in 2002 and it's Romney's fault. Interesting...and my head is starting to hurt.

Draggingtree

October 3, 2012 — John Hinderaker

So Obama Is a Lying, Race-Baiting Demagogue: Does Anyone Care?

The video that debuted on the Daily Caller and the Sean Hannity show last night establishes that Barack Obama is a lying (see Paul’s post from last night), race-baiting (see the video) demagogue. Will it matter? Reporters tweeted up a storm last night, assuring us that there is nothing new in the video and suggesting that it was disreputable to play it. One Josh Barro of Bloomberg News tweeted:

@JBarro: I don’t get how you can work somewhere like Breitbart or Drudge and not feel like you’re doing something pathetic with your life.

Hey, Ma’am, I’m just another objective Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/10/so-obama-is-a-lying-race-baiting-demagogue-does-anyone-care.php

The video that debuted on the Daily Caller and the Sean Hannity show last night establishes that Barack Obama is a lying (see Paul’s post from last night), race-baiting (see the video) demagogue. Will it matter? Reporters tweeted up a storm last night, assuring us that there is nothing new in the video and suggesting that it was disreputable to play it. One Josh Barro of Bloomberg News tweeted:

@JBarro: I don’t get how you can work somewhere like Breitbart or Drudge and not feel like you’re doing something pathetic with your life.

Hey, Ma’am, I’m just another objective Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/10/so-obama-is-a-lying-race-baiting-demagogue-does-anyone-care.php

S.S.D.D

Draggingtree

Hey, Ma’am, I’m just another objective Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.powerline...anyone-care.php

S.S.D.D

rolleyes.gif

Draggingtree

Fact Checking False Claim Obama Budget Plan ‘Reduces Deficit by $5.3 Trillion in a Decade’

October 3, 2012 | Filed under 2012 Presidential Race,Asshats,Barack Obama,Big government,corruption,Culture Of Corruption,Democrats,Economics,Liberals | Posted by Warner Todd Huston

outlandish claim that the President’s budget will reduce the deficit by $5.3 trillion over a ten-year period. But a closer look at this claim proves that it just isn’t true.

ObamaWizOfOz.jpg

Don’t look behind that curtain!

Firstly, Obama and his surrogates don’t even claim a savings of $5.3 trillion, so it is a mystery where Calmes got this number. At the late Democrat convention, for instance, Bill Clinton claimed that Obama’s plan would save $4 trillion, not $5.3. But even Clinton’s mythical savings was deemed untrue by the Washington Post’s fact checker.

Worse, all those supposed savings in the Obama proposal is from tax hikes, not any actual cuts in spending. On top of that, most of the supposed savings are mere accounting gimmicks, not true savings.

The other false characterization of Obama’s spending proposal is that he means to Scissors-32x32.png

http://wizbangblog.com/2012/10/03/fact-checking-false-claim-obama-budget-plan-reduces-deficit-by-5-3-trillion-in-a-decade/

Draggingtree

1004-DEBATE-FLAG-sized.jpg_full_380.jpg

David Goldman/AP

Presidential debate: Mitt Romney injects new life in his campaign (+video)

8:26 am ET -

With the obits of his campaign all but written, Mitt Romney defies expectations and turns in a lifetime performance in the first presidential debate Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/President/2012/1004/Presidential-debate-Mitt-Romney-injects-new-life-in-his-campaign-video

Draggingtree

FEATURED STORY

Bam! Slam! Pow! Crash! BOOM!

PresidentialDebate.jpg

By: Erick Erickson (Diary) | October 4th at 12:43 AM | 168

There was a surreal moment after the debate last night. On CNN, the polling went overwhelmingly for Mitt Romney among debate watchers. Basically two-thirds of the American public who watched the debate claimed Romney won. A majority claimed Romney was with them on taxes, the economy, healthcare, their views of government, etc. He dominated. A CBS poll of undecided voters who watched the debate mirrored Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.redstate.com/2012/10/04/bam-slam-pow-crash-boom/

Draggingtree

Obama’s Debate Strategy: Unilateral Disarmament?

By Joe Klein | @JoeKleinTIME | October 3, 2012

Well, I’m with all the other talking heads: Mitt Romney won this debate. Barack Obama lost it. I mean, he got his butt kicked. It was, in fact, one of the most inept performances I’ve ever seen by a sitting President. Romney — giving credit where it’s due — was calm, clear, convincing (even when he was totally full of it) and nearly human. The real mystery was Obama. Where on earth was he? Why was his debate strategy unilateral disarmament? Why did he never speak in plain English? “Mitt, you’re selling a fantasy. Bill Clinton proved it. He raised taxes on the wealthy and the economy boomed. George Bush lowered taxes drastically and the economy tanked. How’s your plan any different than Bush’s?” Actually, the President did say something like that, but it was well past most of America’s bedtime, about an hour into the debate — and he didn’t do it clearly, concisely or directly.

It gets worse. Scissors-32x32.png

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2012/10/03/the-debate/#ixzz28LEjz7jy

Mitt Romney Adopts New ‘Ronnie Ferocious’ Persona For Debates

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mitt-romney-adopts-new-ronnie-ferocious-persona-fo%2c29789/?utm_source=10-04-12&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=weekly_dispatch

635.jpg?9881

H/T:TheOnion

Language Alert for Onion Post below! +Some suspension of reality may be required.

DENVER—Saying that he wasn’t going to take any s^#@ tonight and that the debate podiums “looked just as f%#%@#$ lame as all the dressed-up suits in this godforsaken hellhole of a room,” Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney appeared tonight at the University of Denver’s Magness Arena as Ronnie Ferocious, the aggressive, no-rules punk-rock persona he has reportedly adopted for his three debates against President Barack Obama.

Wearing a sleeveless cutoff suit jacket, tight leather pants, and a blue tie knotted around his head of spiky, red-white-and-blue-streaked hair, Romney swaggered on stage, took his position beside Obama, and ordered debate moderator Jim Lehrer to “f%#%@#$ do this already.”

“You know what? I’ll ask the first question,” the former Massachusetts governor said before putting out his cigarette on his forearm and flicking the butt at Lehrer. “What kind of little s^#@ show do we have here this evening, folks? That’s my question. Because from where I’m standing, seems like a big ol’ s^#@ show. And Lehrer, shut your fat mouth when Ronnie Ferocious is talking, or I’ll pound your goddamn face in.”

“As for you, Mr. President, you can wipe that smug grin off your face or I can do it for you,” he added before sticking out his diamond-pierced tongue and wagging it at everyone in the auditorium. “I don’t need any of that ‘Forward’ s^#@ from you tonight.”

Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree

The Smirk: RNC plays up Obama's body language

Paul Bedard

Washington Secrets

The Washington Examiner

October 4, 2012 | 9:46 am

384Comments

That didn't take long. Exactly 12 hours after the first presidential debate ended, the Republican National Committee has released a new web video that zooms in on what pundits are calling his "smirk" at many of challenger Mitt Romney's lines Wednesday night. Scissors-32x32.png http://washingtonexaminer.com/the-smirk-rnc-plays-up-obamas-body-language/article/2509830

What are the odds of a US military operation in the next few days or some sort of world crises that O will then say caused him to be distracted during this debate period....

Draggingtree

What Romney’s Debate Victory Means

By the Editors Oct 4, 2012 4:26 AM CT

Where has this Mitt Romney been? And where did that Barack Obama come from?

At last night’s debate between the Republican nominee and the president, it was Mitt the Likable Moderate who showed up: relaxed, in command of details, hair carefully tousled, offering kind words for both Democrats and government regulation. The president, on the other hand, was verbose, weary, occasionally peeved and seemingly ill-prepared. The Twitter consensus, formed before Obama had finished his first answer, is that Romney won decisively.

We don’t disagree. Now the question is how, if at all, his victory will change the remainder of the campaign.

There are several ways to score a debate. Some suggest watching with the sound off, on the theory that a candidate’s body language communicates better than his words. (We may try this next time.) Then there is the rhetoric: Who got off the most Scissors-32x32.png http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-04/commander-in-chief-wasn-t-in-command-of-debate.html

Draggingtree

Body Language Expert: Romney ‘Hyperactive,’ Obama ‘Measured’ in Debate

by Lloyd Grove Oct 4, 2012 1:00 AM EDT

The pundits may be calling Denver a slam-dunk for Romney, but David B. Givens, who analyzed the candidates’ mannerisms, disagrees: the governor looked ‘aggressive and manic, simultaneously,’ while Obama was ‘cool.’

The governor was manic and the president was, well, presidential during Wednesday night’s donnybrook in Denver.

1349327016425.cached.jpg

AFP-Getty Images (4)

All in all, Barack Obama was measured and cool, nonverbally, while Mitt Romney was aggressive, interrupting, and speaking over the host many times,” said Gonzaga University anthropologist David B. Givens, who analyzed the candidates’ visual cues at the request of The Daily Beast.Scissors-32x32.png http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/04/body-language-expert-romney-hyperactive-obama-measured-in-debate.html

Draggingtree

Al Gore Blames High Altitude For Obama's Poor Debate Performance

Mourning_for_Icarus.jpg

I agree. Obama just flew too close to the sun and the wax in his wings melted.

H/T to DMartyr and The Jawa Report