Chicago Public Schools teachers’ strike over

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

chicago-public-schools-teachers-strike-over.htmlChicago Sun Times:

The Chicago teachers’ strike is over.

The Chicago Teachers Union’s House of Delegates voted Tuesday to end its strike after seven days, meaning classes will be in session Wednesday for 350,000 Chicago Public Schools students.

“Everybody is going back to school,” said Jay Rehak, a delegate from Whitney Young High School.

Delegate Mike Bochner said “an overwhelming majority” of delegates voted to suspend the strike on a voice vote.

“I’m really excited, I’m really relieved,” said Bochner, a teacher at Cesar Chavez elementary.

At a press conference a short time after the vote, CTU President Karen Lewis said the vote was approved by a margin of “like 98 percent to 2.”

“We said that it was time, that we couldn’t solve all the problems of the world with one contract. And it was time to suspend the strike.”

She said teachers were excited to return to work.

“I am so thrilled people are going back,” she said. “... Everybody is looking forward to seeing their kids tomorrow, I can guarantee you that.”

Nevertheless, there were some “die-hard hold-outs” in favor of continuing the walk-out, Lewis said.

“We cannot get a perfect contract,” Lewis said. “There is no such thing as a contract that is going to make all of us happy.”

Mayor Rahm Emanuel held a press conference praising the agreement.

“This settlement is an honest compromise,” Emanuel said. “ ... It means a new day and a new direction for the CPS. In this contract we gave our children a seat at the table. At past negotiations the taxpayers paid more but our kids got less.

“ ... This contract is a break with past practices and brings a fundamental change that benefits our children.”

While the strike is over, the entire 29,000-member union still has to approve the contract.

________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QC0Z-E82g

@WestVirginiaRebel

Been trying to find more about the deal. So far all I've found is this from The Blaze

"Lewis said the union is not entirely pleased with agreements on things like teacher evaluations, teacher recalls and wraparound programs, but added that the negotiating phase should be over now."

Hopefully more today.