Mrs. Obama’s Back to School Message: ‘Exciting Changes’ in Cafeteria

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

mrs-obama-s-back-school-message-exciting-changes-cafeteriaCNS News:

First Lady Michelle Obama delivered a back to school message for children to inform them of the “exciting changes” to their lunchrooms this year, thanks to federally mandated healthy food choices now in effect.

In a video message taped outside the White House, which was featured on the Let's Move! blog last week, Mrs. Obama welcomed kids back to another year of “learning, discovery, hard work and fun.”

“And today I want to tell you about some exciting changes that you’ll be seeing in your school cafeterias,” she said. “Starting this year, the talented people who cook the food at your school will be offering all kinds of healthy, delicious new choices. Foods that are good for you and that taste good, too.”

“These healthy foods are good for your body, they’ll give you energy and make you stronger and they’re also good for your mind,” Mrs. Obama said.

“Studies show that when you eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables that can actually help you pay attention in class and do a better job on your homework and tests.”

“And that’s really what this is all about,” she said.

________

Free veggies for everyone!

What ever happened to packing lunches for your children? Seriously. Better yet, what ever happened to them packing them themselves?

People don't pack nutricious lunches. The gov. needs to fix kids' lunches to make sure they are eating right. How do I know that? Michelle said so.

One of my piano students, a high school boy, is complaining that portion sizes are much smaller this year; and if you want a taco, you have to choose between a small amount of meat and a small amount of cheese, or a slightly larger amount of meat and NO cheese. High school boys need more than that!

I asked him if fruits/veggies were more in abundance this year and he said yes, and you HAVE TO take them, but a lot of it ends up in the garbage.

He's very unhappy about the "exciting changes".

• Like 1